Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: school confiscates cell phone, lawyer dad is mad?

What if you are about to rumble and need to call some backup yo?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can see why the dad would be a little upset. Who wants to pay for a phone thats sitting in some teachers desk somewhere? No one does. I mean what if the kid had a wreck on the way home and couldnt call his parents and tell them? I also understand the kid should just follow the rules as well but seriously, you should be able to just take someones stuff.

X

[/ QUOTE ]

If the kid is of driving age, then he/she can leave it in the car when he/she is in school (there is this think called a glove compartment that is really neat and holds things other than gloves). That way, they have it while driving; but don't risk having it confiscated at school.

If the kid is not of driving age, then the parent can make sure the driver that the kid is riding with (if not the parent or other adult) has a cell phone in the car.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM

there's nothing that pisses me off more than if i'm on a date with a chick, go use the restroom, and she's either chatting away on her cell or texting one of her girlfriends when i get back. i find it incredibly rude and have now just started ending the date right then when it happens. am i abnormal?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:53 PM

hi5 leehrat, I think that's awesome.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:57 PM

For restaurants, I had in mind people who complain about people talking on phones at other tables. Of course its rude to ignore someone who you're with. I forgot that because I usually eat at restaurants alone. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

For cars, while talking on the phone increases the risk I don't think talking on phones is more dangerous than changing the radio, talking to someone next to you or drinking two beers before heading out.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's nothing that pisses me off more than if i'm on a date with a chick, go use the restroom, and she's either chatting away on her cell or texting one of her girlfriends when i get back. i find it incredibly rude and have now just started ending the date right then when it happens. am i abnormal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you still pay for her meal.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Some of you guys are crazy. If the school sees to the phone 3 times they take it away. That's a crazy rule, it does not appear to say anything about usage. When I was at school and I could not drive I needed to rely on other people for rides. Prior to having a cell phone it sucked having to call people using a pay phone, then I got a cell phone and it was much easier. If the students don't use the phones in class it should not be a problem. If I want to use my phone at school during lunch the school can go [censored] themselves. I hope the lawyer goes after the school and they are forced to change the law. If they took my kids blackberry or something I would throw a [censored] fit.

Let it be reiterated that cellphones should not be used during class periods. But outside of that the school has no business taking the property of their students.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a lawyer too, and lawyers like you who beat their chests and go on and on about how this is the LAW and YOU CAN'T SEIZE MY PROPERTY are the reason people hate lawyers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not at all what I'm trying to convey. I could care less about the whole "you can't seize my property, I know my rights" line of bs. I have two problems with this situation.

1: I'd find it very disrectful if I went to the principal and politely asked for my phone back and he told me he was going to hold on to it for a month. He can give my kid detention, suspend him, or mete out any other reasonable punishment, but if he has the audacity to think he can impose some sort of sanction on me, I'm going to have a big problem with that.

2: Quite simply: The phone's mine and I'd want back. If the school took an ipod or something from my kid and wanted to hold it for a month, I wouldn't care at all, but to me a phone is different.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 PM

mmcd: how did you pass the LSAT?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every year my kids and I have to sign a form acknowledging that we have read, understand and agree to follow the school's code of conduct (it includes a rule against cell phone and text message use). If one of my kids gets caught breaking any of the rules then I have no problem with there being consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not like your really "agreeing" to anything though. It shouldn't be thought of as a real contract. You "have" to sign it and you have no bargaining power.

If you happen to agree with the rule fine, but the fact that they make parents sign it makes it no more valid IMO.