Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Prop bet - 5 minute mile

If you could run a 5:18 mile alone on a track without any training-- you were/are in select company.

edit: That isn't meant to sound like I'm doubting you. I've known people like this-- they are uncommon.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:17 PM

I guess I'm out of touch with running but it just doesn't seem that hard. I never really tried to run miles but feel like it wouldn't be out of reach for me with 7 months of work. I remember freshman year in middle school the first day of gym we all went out and ran the mile and there were several kids under 5:30 who surely played a lot of sports but I highly doubt they had trained hard for the mile.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember freshman year in middle school the first day of gym we all went out and ran the mile and there were several kids under 5:30

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a statement like this makes me question my memory. While I'm skeptical (and ignorant) about this skill in the general population-- I'm fairly certain about it's absence in myself-- despite having done a fair bit of running.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:16 PM

i would be very suprised if u could do this.....i was a serious runner in high school and alot of this is just whether your body can naturally use the oxygen in your lungs efficiently..vo2 levels or something like that....if u ran a 7:45 trying i would be shocked if u could ever get to 5 minutes...

and fwiw when i ran in middle school i was the 2nd best and could only run a 5:12 ...so i doubt there wree that many that could run sub 5:30
Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 PM

I'm 20, in Colorado and will be running it on a 400M track. I can have as many attempts as I want though up till mid May. Thanks for the advice swindoc, time to start adding miles!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can have as many attempts as I want though up till mid May.

[/ QUOTE ]

you might be able to do it if you use drugs for your timed ones. nothing bad, just some diet pills or something, I remember I took one once before a run where you got cut if you fell out, and I had so much wind (breathe) it was incredible. something in there expanded your bronchia or something.

over the counter, btw.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm out of touch with running but it just doesn't seem that hard. I never really tried to run miles but feel like it wouldn't be out of reach for me with 7 months of work. I remember freshman year in middle school the first day of gym we all went out and ran the mile and there were several kids under 5:30 who surely played a lot of sports but I highly doubt they had trained hard for the mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty darn unusual unless you grew up in Kenya [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Here's a compilation of last spring'g best middle school track times:

http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndFiel...spx?DivID=4467
Only 5 kids in the country were 5:00 or below.

[ QUOTE ]

How huge is the difference between a sub 6 min mile and a sub 5 min mile?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty, pretty huge. I believe a 5:00 mile is approximately equal to an 18:30-19:00 5k. So, essentially you'd have to run 6min/mile for 3.1 miles to equal the effort. I used to have a good running book that had equivalent times that I thought were pretty darn accurate but I seem to have lost it. This website claims to do create equivalent times, but I think the longer times are way too fast for a given mile time:

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Runni...calculator.htm

This site claims an equivalent 5k is 17:20 (way too fast, probably more the equivalent of a 4:45) and equivalent 10mile is 60:00 (also way too fast).
Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM

ohh good bet.

My best in college was 5:16 without any running specific training. Back then I could have done it with a couple weeks of training but now it would take me months I am sure.

It all depends how motivated you are in training. As I said it would take me months of training for it and I have always been a good long distance runner.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 PM

swingdoc I'd say you're wrong about comparing it to a 5k. But yeah 6min mile: anyone can train and do, 5min mile: really [censored] hard and most people would fail.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you could run a 5:18 mile alone on a track without any training-- you were/are in select company.

edit: That isn't meant to sound like I'm doubting you. I've known people like this-- they are uncommon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this (5:16) with no running training at all. Played tennis in college though but the 5:16 mile was the 1st timed mile (and last) I have ever run in my life.