Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Home Tourney Costs

Greetings all, this is my first thread, please bear with me if it is redundant.
I usually host games about twice a month with anywhere between 20 and 30 players. I go through some work pulling them off, cleaning, providing a lil snack and extra beer for those without any class (yeah that's how I feel about showing up empty handed and ready to drink), and a clean organized game. I pay my share as well, but in the end I feel a lttle cheated and used. I recently was invited to another game where the guy hosting charged a few bucks extra ($5) for snacks and drinks. I don't want to run into the legal problems of providing drinks etc, but I also hate doing all this with no reward unless I win. It used to be when someone won a football pool or something, the winner would tip the organizer for his work, but that too has died out and never transferred over to home poker tourneys.
I am interested if any of you do anything to recoup your losses.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Home Tourney Costs

I make it a standard for everyone to BYO whatever. I too also have a few extra refreshments for those that never bring anything.

Some guys bring chips, pretzels, whatever to snack on. But I also have that on hand just in case some poor soul is starving.

We play alot of tournament style poker. Rarely do we play limit or NL so it's easier for me to charge $1 to everyone that wants to play in one of the tournament games. If it's a full table of 10 players and we play 3 games in one night, $30 goes into the Crown "escrow" Royal bag and it's used for the next set of games I host. I never use it for profit and I plan on having alot of excess "escrow" for the end of the year final tournament.

So far, I have had no complaints and everyone is cool with the rake. Your post sounds very similar to what I've been through this year (it's my first year hosting games). After about the third game, I got real tired (not cheap) about the set-up involved. One of my close friends now helps me run my games which is a huge help. I might add that it's been quite some time since I've cashed in my own games that I host. I still enjoy the thrill of a good card game though. I'm just wishing a few more wins will come my way so the money can go in my wallet instead of Crown bag.

Anyhow, I wish you luck and lots of fun.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so it's easier for me to charge $1 to everyone that wants to play in one of the tournament games. If it's a full table of 10 players and we play 3 games in one night, $30 goes into the Crown "escrow" Royal bag and it's used for the next set of games I host.

So far, I have had no complaints and everyone is cool with the rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't call this a rake. This is simply sharing expenses.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pay my share as well, but in the end I feel a lttle cheated and used.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being "used" but that's the nature of hosting a home game. Look at your labor sweat as an investment that allows you to play poker on a regular basis.

But I can empathize- it can be tough not to smack someone upside the head when they ask why they should have to clean up.

[ QUOTE ]
but I also hate doing all this with no reward unless I win.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no way, when I formed my game and watched it grow, that I was going to eat the $50-150 cost per night as a personal vig. Everyone, including myself, contributes a flat $5 per game night and I carry forward negative and positive balances.

If I'm going to do all of the work, I'm certainly NOT paying for the privilege of doing so on top.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so it's easier for me to charge $1 to everyone that wants to play in one of the tournament games. If it's a full table of 10 players and we play 3 games in one night, $30 goes into the Crown "escrow" Royal bag and it's used for the next set of games I host.

So far, I have had no complaints and everyone is cool with the rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"sharing expenses" - Very well said.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it's a full table of 10 players and we play 3 games in one night, $30 goes into the Crown "escrow" Royal bag

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, now that I look at it, it might be closer to a rake. Everyone may not contribute equally, if some leave early, and you can't really argue that the expenses equate to a longer play, more pay scenario.

I'd just charge a flat payment per night and be done with it.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it's a full table of 10 players and we play 3 games in one night, $30 goes into the Crown "escrow" Royal bag

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, now that I look at it, it might be closer to a rake. Everyone may not contribute equally, if some leave early, and you can't really argue that the expenses equate to a longer play, more pay scenario.

I'd just charge a flat payment per night and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they buy-in for a game, they are charged for that game. Makes it simple enough for me and the player. And it's only $1, so not many camplaints.

P
Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 AM

Be very careful on this one. If you do take $ for sharing expenses - keep track of your expenses so you can prove you are not profiting. All it would take is one disgruntled player to turn you in and some over zealous police work to get you in a world of hurt.

Personally if you are worried about providing snacks etc just have people bring them on a rotating basis. If people don't bring their own beer, the most effective way to change this is for some friendly jibing from the group. peer presure can work wonders.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:31 PM

Collecting a rake is wrong, not fpor a home game. If someone shows up withoutr their drinks, let them go thirsty. Anyone who shows up expepcting you to provide drinks, well they are players you don't want. Hosting a game is that, providing a place to play. I can understand collecting money for cards but instead of charging a set amount, pass the hat instead. H

Would you charge money if you had a party?
Old 05-26-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you charge money if you had a party?

[/ QUOTE ]

All players (members) know what the money is going towards if it's explained and agreed upon up front.

I built a table with full intentions of playing cards and possibly winning some money. However, when the cost of having a small gathering of guys play cards ends up more than I win and not to mention, I'm the only one in our group that has ever volunteered a regular place to play, then a $1 per game "shared expense" will be taken for any overhead or expenditures.

None of our players have complained, and if the game is moved to another place, I'll be the first to leave a tip.