Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Did I angleshoot this guy?

[ QUOTE ]
And all you have to say is, " i really thought I had the best hand and you were on a draw"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol wtf? What draw was he possibly beating? A pair draw to an ace with worse kicker?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, unless you guys are best friends, your line doesn't even make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, sounds like the guy was going to call until then.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One day a guy tells me "check it down?" Against my usual policy I said I would, only because it was more a drinking table than a make $ table and I didn't really care (plus I didn't have much). Check, check, check, check, check... He bets the river. Did he angle shoot me? Should I be pissed?

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to what OP was talking about, that sounds downright illegal. Yes you should be pissed. In fact I wonder if his words were legally binding (I don't know, but I suspect they ought to be if not.)
Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 AM

i recall a dealer telling me you dont have to check down even after you agree with it.

wtf you can lie while playing poker?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love that play. I won't usually show it or offer to show it, but there is no better bluff than the "we're buddies, I don't want to take all your money, I've got you" bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use this bluff in live play like 85% of my sessions. But I'm a social guy and talk a lot at tables, and people generally respect my game. I never show, but make it seem like its cuz I don't want the other players to know what I had. A good, old fashioned "C'MONNNNNNNNNNN" usually convinces them that I have them beat so I can take it down and muck. Never told them I got you beat and I'll show, though. Whatever, that's pokar!!
Old 09-21-2007, 01:21 PM

I've enjoyed some of the thoughtful responses here. I personally think this is piece of crap move. At lower levels people are chatting and, although gambling for money, still have a sense of friendliness and comradery about them. You've betrayed this man's trust and created an unpleasant scene at the table for a couple of bucks. Was it worth it? At higher limits these kinds of moves don't make you a jerk because everyone is onto the many levels of the game.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:15 PM

It's interesting to note that against good players, they would very much prefer you said something like this. Anyway they can extract some sort of information from you. They obviously would never be fooled by such a statement, but on the other hand they might pick up a tell from it. If they got pissed when they saw your hand, it would be completely feigned 99% of the time.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:44 PM

Its kind of a dick move.. but not an angle shoot or unethical thing to say at all. It was pure table talk as you talked him out of the call. At least you showed him [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2007, 10:07 PM

I don't see any problem here, I put him on A-8 as well.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:19 PM

you did nothing wrong...the problem was all his. Bluffing and betting is just part of the game and if he got pushed off the best hand then he shouldn't get upset about it. Getting bluffed and getting caught with your hand in the cookie jar is just part of the game.