Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM

Default no 3 betting KK against tightie.... $25 FTP

Just curious about this thought process...

I don't believe I had a large number of hands on the villain but he was a mouse -- stats like 10/4. Very tight.

I'm pretty sure I was running TAG -- maybe 20/13ish... I hadn't been at the table long but I believe I'd raised a few hands since I'd been there.

Villain had just under a full stack... maybe $22. I have full stack.

Villain opens to $1 from MP.
I have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB.

<font color="blue"> 98% of the time I raise here. And I thought to myself... "not against this player." This player may very well put my on a big hand and fold. If he misses the flop, he won't call any turn bet... possibly no flop bet. It crossed my mind that he was the only player I felt good about NOT 3 betting him. He's the only one who might actually laydown a weaker hand preflop. So I smooth called. I gambled that we would be heads up. </font>
Everyone else folds.

FLOP- ($2.35)
4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> I believe it completely missed his range. I expect him to cbet. Honestly, the only hand I'm worried about is Aces. I expect if he has aces, he will 3 bet me on the flop... </font>

He bets $2. I raise to $6. He calls.

Turn - blank (let's say a 10)
He checks. I bet $10. He calls.

River - 4

He checks. I push.

Thoughts?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: no 3 betting KK against tightie.... $25 FTP

your thinking seems a bit results oriented but i understand you are trying to maximize ev... that being said its difficult to tell what he is calling with here, especially on the flop. He might be slow playing a set (poorly) or have 88 - QQ, possibly even AA given what his stats are (although you didn't say how big the sample is) His checking seems to be either in respect to your reraise on the flop or because he is sure you are going to bet and wants to seem weak... or because he is weak and doesnt want to play a big pot. all in all i would check the river because its unlikely he calls a push with a worst hand but very likely he calls it with a better hand
the rest looks fine to me
Old 10-11-2007, 12:21 PM

yah looks good on this board I think you will get called down by TT+. I would guess his range to be just that tight to only include PP TT+ and AK and AK doesn't call you down here
Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 PM

I dont think he would check turn and river with a big hand. Looks like JJ-QQ, and wants to get cheap showdown. I dont think a set/fh would check the river. He only has like $5 left on river, so if he had AA or better, he would stick it in already. So your play looks good to me.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:01 PM

HH is wrong. You're in BB, he's in MP and he acts 1st on every street.

I understand what you're thought process is in trying to get him to bet his QQ/JJ/TT into you.

~FishNChips
Old 10-11-2007, 02:28 PM

I do not think I agree with your PF thoughts...VS a player this tight I want to be 3 betting every time with strong pairs and calling with speculative hands..This player is sooooo tight the odds are greater that he has a hand big enough to get them AI PF...IMO a player this tight will put them AI PF with AK..But when you call you lose value when he does not improve..This player will shut down all his pairs when any over card falls..

I do like smooth calling big pairs vs aggro villain that will auto C-bet any flop..The more aggro the villain the more likely he is opening light and not be able to continue when "we" 3 bet...
Old 10-11-2007, 02:33 PM

I like the way you thought it out preflop. Normally KK is an automatic raise but if you're trying to extract value then your line might be right against this opponent. However, your position isn't very good and you're lucky that no one called behind you.

You got 17 out of his 22 in the pot by the river, so I would just set him in here. If you're really really scared that he has aces or a set, you can check. But in those cases he is just going to shove the river anyway - and you have to call him. I'm not saying that you're trying to create fold equity here, but if you're calling his shove why wouldn't you bet the river outright?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:42 PM

Default post thoughts and results

As it was from memory I'm approximating the bet sizing. But it was less then a PSB to get him all in on the river.

I should state that I was a little nervous that he was smoothcalling me, but I had thought it most likely he plays back on the flop with AA so I was sticking with that. I was prepared to be stacked in this case. I think he had more like $8 left by the river which I could have checked but I still thought I was likely ahead... I think he still bets Aces so that I can't check behind.

I'm not sure my logic was sound, but that's what drove me to play the hand this way.

RESULTS:
<font color="white"> villain called my river bet. I have to admit I was quite suprised to see him flip over AKos. I did not expect him to call down that lightly. He typed afterwards something like, "paid for information." Not sure he got good value out of it.

I am happy and got the results I wanted. I wonder if, had I reraised and he smoothcalled, and he missed the flop, then he lets it go. Though I shouldn't have been able to stack him, I can't help but think I made more here by not 3 betting preflop.
</font>
Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 PM

If you ever smooth-call preflop with KK or AA, this is exactly why you're doing it. You get all-in on a relatively safe board and you've got far-and-away the best of it when the money goes in. Well done. This should not be your default play, but when the circumstances are just right this kind of action can be devestatingly effective.

(P.S.: Based on the hand history I'm assuming you were on the button, not in the big blind.)
Old 10-11-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(P.S.: Based on the hand history I'm assuming you were on the button, not in the big blind.)

[/ QUOTE ]

correct... I always call them the wrong name. Similarly, I often call my cats by the wrong name.

If I was OOP, I would have been more inclined to raise.