Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 04:50 PM

Default How do you start a website to make money?

OK, I actually have some knowledge about websites. I have written html/java script but not in a long time. My question is, lets say I have an idea and a webpage developed. How do I host this and get traffic to my site?

Domain hosting: Do you just find the cheapest service to host your domain? Or is there more to it?

Traffic: What techniques are used to drive traffic to your site? Specifically how do you come up in a google search? If you have keywords, what do you do wiht them?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: How do you start a website to make money?

Domain hosting: I use 1and1.com just because someone recommended them to me and I have had no problems. I use them for hosting as well. Other than that, I can't give any good advice.
For generating traffic to your site you could always use google adwords or 7serach.com to pay for specific keywords. Look up info on SEO (search engine optimization) and that will help you show up on google. If you need more help PM me or if you want to use my referal links to sign up I'm ok with that too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] wickedfire.com is also a good resourse.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: How do you start a website to make money?

domain hosting
depends on what you want to do. if it is only a .html-file or two there are many hosts out there where you can get a domain name and some mb webspace for very little. do you want to make a blog? you can start on blogger or wordpress and if you decide along the road that it is worthwhile get a domain + your own wordpress installation. do you want to create a big site? a content management system like joomla! is the way to go. do you need sql-databases? php? an forum software? ...you need to know what you need to decide what is the best option.

that said, dreamhost for examples offers a lot for <$10/month. and many of the goodies (blog/joomla/forum/shop/etc./etc.) are very easy one click installs. cons of dreamhost are: it is shared hosting and they had some downtime issues in the pasts months. but there are similar hosts out there. just shop around a bit.

traffic
SEO, link exchange, adwords, submit articles to ezine/goarticle and some of the thousands other article directories and make your site known to bookmark/link sites like dmoz.org & co.