Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Weather Channel Founder says\"Global Warming is Biggest Scam in His

[ QUOTE ]
Did these comnpanies who produced shoddy products prosper?

[/ QUOTE ]

They got filthy rich. In fact many of them are fortune 500 companies. In fact tobacco companies in the past have actually made their products MORE poisonous rather than less by adding toxic chemicals and radioactive polonium. That is until the lawsuits started rolling in. They knew exactly what they were doing the whole way. I'm willing to bet all those investigations executed by the CDC were a waste of time in your mind.

[ QUOTE ]
I think not and that is the beauty of free market capitalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

:-D

[ QUOTE ]
You should open your eyes a little on the polio vaccine which is suspected of causing cancer and evidence suggests he may not have even been much help in stopping polio:

Polio is virtually nonexistent in the United States today. However, according to Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, medical investigator and pediatrician, there is no credible scientific evidence that the vaccine caused polio to disappear [50]. From 1923 to 1953, before the Salk killed-virus vaccine was introduced, the polio death rate in the United States and England had already declined on its own by 47 percent and 55 percent, respectively (Figure 4) [51]. Statis-tics show a similar decline in other European countries as well [51]. And when the vaccine did become available, many European countries questioned its effectiveness and refused to systematically inoculate their citizens. Yet, polio epidemics also ended in these countries [50].

Full paper and footnotes here: http://www.thinktwice.com/Polio.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this isn't the first time you've linked to a crappy source. Maybe you should check out the discovery institute that claims evolution is a scam theory. Or how about the OISM which headed by "tobacco doesn't cause cancer" frauds. Oh wait, you already did that. If you want a serious discussion I suggest you stick to peer review with an impact factors 2 and above or an accredited scientific institution.

straight from the CDC:
Ninety percent or more of vaccine recipients develop protective antibody to all three poliovirus types after two doses, and at least 99% are immune following three doses.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...oads/polio.pdf

Not
[ QUOTE ]
Your critique of capitalism fails to look at the higher living standards and quality of life it brought to the US and more recently India and China.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, there are countless multivariate analysis that take confounding factors into effect. There are 4 countries that currently refuse the polio vaccine due to religious (Islamic) reasons and those happen to be the only 4 countries that currently suffer from polio outbreaks. Of course if you listen to the nutters this is all coincidence.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did these comnpanies who produced shoddy products prosper? I think not and that is the beauty of free market capitalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't much beyond an 'LOL' that this deserves.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You can insult my reasoning as much as you like but my historical facts are plentiful and accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to say to that. Facts are meaningless without applying reason. It's how you think about the facts that matters, not the facts themselves.

But you should know that. I thought you were in academia or something like that.

Also, I'm *not* trying to insult you, I'm genuinely trying to point out that your arguments in support of various spending programs rely on a fallacy. You even resort to insulting others for simply understanding that your arguments are fallacious.

A typical exchange with you:
some poster:"Spending govt money on X is a waste".
you: "Are you crazy? the government invented [fill in here] due to their research on X. Do you want to live in a world without that invention?"

"Umm.. your reasoning there is pretty weak"

"You are a fool who doesn't know the facts".

Who's doing the insulting?

natedogg
Old 11-18-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

You can insult my reasoning as much as you like but my historical facts are plentiful and accurate.

I don't know what to say to that. Facts are meaningless without applying reason. It's how you think about the facts that matters, not the facts themselves.

But you should know that. I thought you were in academia or something like that.

Also, I'm *not* trying to insult you, I'm genuinely trying to point out that your arguments in support of various spending programs rely on a fallacy. You even resort to insulting others for simply understanding that your arguments are fallacious.

A typical exchange with you:
some poster:"Spending govt money on X is a waste".
you: "Are you crazy? the government invented [fill in here] due to their research on X. Do you want to live in a world without that invention?"

"Umm.. your reasoning there is pretty weak"

"You are a fool who doesn't know the facts".

Who's doing the insulting?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey hey hey let's get back on topic. the argument was that the gov could throw money at solar and give the RD a kick in the a** to get it going.

people say, hey gov is no good at going concerns (businesses), which is true, but RD it does have kinda a track record, including the computer, which was developed partially by the gov. well a lot by gov at beginning.

can't argue with that I don't think. no one is saying the gov can run a computer biz or anything, just that they throw money at something, get it started (like computer), then private industry takes over and runs with it.

by computer we're talking eniac or whatever, vacuum tube dealee.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Did these comnpanies who produced shoddy products prosper? I think not and that is the beauty of free market capitalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me an example of a company that is thriving by ripping people off so I can start loling. That only entity that thrives off rippoing off people is one that uses force to do it, like the Government.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me an example of a company that is thriving by ripping people off so I can start loling. That only entity that thrives off rippoing off people is one that uses force to do it, like the Government.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are tons of companies that made money ripping people off. As an example, scammers who rip off old people through shady means generally don't go bankrupt because of bad publicity, they get caught by people who report them to the government. That doesn't mean I am for govt regulation, but you are naive to keep repeating this fallacy that the market cures all ills and nobody can profit through underhanded means or crappy products. I'm really getting sick of you free marketeers who have to make up these stupid assertions to defend your beliefs. Your beliefs are much more defendable without such silliness.

Edit: It's like if you want to argue that Michael Jordan is the best basketball player ever, you don't need to assert that he can jump 40 feet and never misses from half court in order to do so. You only look like a fool if you try that and people are rightfully skeptical of your knowledge of basketball and suspicious of any other claims you might make regarding it.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did these comnpanies who produced shoddy products prosper?

[/ QUOTE ]

They got filthy rich. In fact many of them are fortune 500 companies. In fact tobacco companies in the past have actually made their products MORE poisonous rather than less by adding toxic chemicals and radioactive polonium. That is until the lawsuits started rolling in. They knew exactly what they were doing the whole way. I'm willing to bet all those investigations executed by the CDC were a waste of time in your mind.

[ QUOTE ]
I think not and that is the beauty of free market capitalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

:-D

[ QUOTE ]
You should open your eyes a little on the polio vaccine which is suspected of causing cancer and evidence suggests he may not have even been much help in stopping polio:

Polio is virtually nonexistent in the United States today. However, according to Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, medical investigator and pediatrician, there is no credible scientific evidence that the vaccine caused polio to disappear [50]. From 1923 to 1953, before the Salk killed-virus vaccine was introduced, the polio death rate in the United States and England had already declined on its own by 47 percent and 55 percent, respectively (Figure 4) [51]. Statis-tics show a similar decline in other European countries as well [51]. And when the vaccine did become available, many European countries questioned its effectiveness and refused to systematically inoculate their citizens. Yet, polio epidemics also ended in these countries [50].

Full paper and footnotes here: http://www.thinktwice.com/Polio.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this isn't the first time you've linked to a crappy source. Maybe you should check out the discovery institute that claims evolution is a scam theory. Or how about the OISM which headed by "tobacco doesn't cause cancer" frauds. Oh wait, you already did that. If you want a serious discussion I suggest you stick to peer review with an impact factors 2 and above or an accredited scientific institution.

straight from the CDC:
Ninety percent or more of vaccine recipients develop protective antibody to all three poliovirus types after two doses, and at least 99% are immune following three doses.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...oads/polio.pdf

Not
[ QUOTE ]
Your critique of capitalism fails to look at the higher living standards and quality of life it brought to the US and more recently India and China.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, there are countless multivariate analysis that take confounding factors into effect. There are 4 countries that currently refuse the polio vaccine due to religious (Islamic) reasons and those happen to be the only 4 countries that currently suffer from polio outbreaks. Of course if you listen to the nutters this is all coincidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, poor sources on polio. Vaccines were developed by institutions that benefited from the results.

No one was forced to use tobacco, people use it because they enjoy it. Eating fatty foods kill you too, do you ever eat them? We make choices in life. Because you don't agree with someone's free choice does not mean they are getting ripped off. If a company were able to legally produce cocaine would you say they are ripping people off? People still buy and use cocaine.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me an example of a company that is thriving by ripping people off so I can start loling.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of them. Corporations are evil and only the government can save us.

[ QUOTE ]
That only entity that thrives off rippoing off people is one that uses force to do it, like the Government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Corporations are evil and only the government can save us.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are tons of companies that made money ripping people off. As an example, scammers who rip off old people through shady means generally don't go bankrupt because of bad publicity, they get caught by people who report them to the government. That doesn't mean I am for govt regulation, but you are naive to keep repeating this fallacy that the market cures all ills and nobody can profit through underhanded means or crappy products. I'm really getting sick of you free marketeers who have to make up these stupid assertions to defend your beliefs. Your beliefs are much more defendable without such silliness.

Edit: It's like if you want to argue that Michael Jordan is the best basketball player ever, you don't need to assert that he can jump 40 feet and never misses from half court in order to do so. You only look like a fool if you try that and people are rightfully skeptical of your knowledge of basketball and suspicious of any other claims you might make regarding it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post of the Year, IMO.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People demand and pay for products they value and shun and don't buy products they don't value. This notion that companies rip people off and laugh all the way to the bank is a Marxist fallacy.

I never said company's can't or don't rip people off, I am saying ones that do will not prosper. I asked you to give me an example and you can't. Even if you think people are getting ripped off they may feel that the product or service to them is worth the price. Why should YOU be the one to decide?

Not once did I say the free market cures all ills. I said free market capitalism fuels the best economies and the most prosperous nations throughout history. Inida and China are recent examples of economies that became more prosperous by allowing for more free market competition.

My point was and still is that outside of laws and resources to protect our persons and property from theft or destruction and our basic rights government intervention makes a system less effecient, not more.