Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-04-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: The Ultimate Leverage Investment Thread

Maybe you should stick to SB and look into futures at your leisure. Jack Schwager wrote a decent into book to futures, you could have a look at that.

[ QUOTE ]
these two additions are based on what ive read on kitco and what jim rogers says.

is there anyway to read more about what jim rogers says, i enjoy reading about his opinions (do you agree with him?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, I'm not going to tell you not to trade off advice or tips from 3rd parties - just be careful of the source and their biases/interests. I imagine Kitco to perpetually have precious metals flagged as a strong buy (I could be wrong)

As for Jim Rogers, I wouldn't take tips from anyone who drives a pimped vehicle.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

anyways, now got:

£100 per $1 swing in gold spot price
£11.50 per $.01 swing in silver spot price
£200 per $1 swing in oil

[/ QUOTE ]

Blastoff.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

anyways, now got:

£100 per $1 swing in gold spot price
£11.50 per $.01 swing in silver spot price
£200 per $1 swing in oil

[/ QUOTE ]

Blastoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT lol

though i'd be ready to jump out of that oil position pretty soon
Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM

should be a good day for you jk. I just got into sso and a really small canadian silver company.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 PM

I think this is a refreshing change from the " [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]I DESERVE RESPECT" thread. JK admits he's not sure about everything and seems to have left his ego to one side - which is something that can't be said for a certain footwear-named regular.

Kudos to JK for disclosing all his positions before they are up X%
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM

couldnt believe my eyes when i checked the price and saw $840, i couldnt check it yesterday so was very nice to see

although i need to quit stock investing, i'm down almost £1500 mainly on northern rock and couple of punts ive taken.

total deposits have been £16k and now up to £23k so been a really good start.

profit entirely due to gold. the currency positions and other commodities are all in the plus, offsetting the losses from hong kong from my individual stocks. indian index is still even despite hong kong being down around 9%.

as for any pending changes, ive got a limit sell on oil at $100, i want to jump out of the northern rock position but at 150p i can see it falling to 130p with similar likelyhood to it going to 190p or so.

fingers crossed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 05:43 PM

ouchh! pretty painful day, but ive been expecting it for quite a while now. been lucky with the timing i entered gold in but unlucky when i entered hong kong index, down a [censored] load on that. pretty painful day, down around $11k, but i'm not particularly bothered, ive never added the gains to my thoughts of net worth so to speak as it really is an experiment and very much a long term investments.

right now increasingly position on gold looks tempting but think i may sit back this week and see what happens.

The 2 currencies trades have been super, CHF/GBP and JPY/USD have both stormed recently for an upswing of about $4.5k between them.

gl all, lets hope things can settle down a bit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ouchh! pretty painful day, but ive been expecting it for quite a while now. been lucky with the timing i entered gold in but unlucky when i entered hong kong index, down a [censored] load on that. pretty painful day, down around $11k, but i'm not particularly bothered, ive never added the gains to my thoughts of net worth so to speak as it really is an experiment and very much a long term investments.

right now increasingly position on gold looks tempting but think i may sit back this week and see what happens.

The 2 currencies trades have been super, CHF/GBP and JPY/USD have both stormed recently for an upswing of about $4.5k between them.

gl all, lets hope things can settle down a bit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of strange behavior for the market overall today with the late equity swing and all.

I've been long retail as of last week and was definitely encouraged when I went shopping with the g/f this week end and saw the malls packed with people. I think that gold and silver may not bounce back big because I think people might start to say "ok i've goten the bounce time to get out." It will be an interesting week I think.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 AM

last 10 days have been pretty crazy as for most investors i imagine.

i ended the long hong kong position at a loss of around $5k. may end the india position as well. the equities market over the next 12 months or so doesn't look strong at all and I want to see if both these markets can shake off problems elsewhere, as from what it looks like they can't. interestingly i read an article the other day about how strongly emerging markets have performed during the credit crisis so maybe that is an option.

on another low, crude oil is really annoying. i had a stop loss at $89.90 or so, the lowest the position hit was $90.05 according the igindex but they ended the position and it's now up at $97 or so, irratating. ive been busy the past week so didnt realise they had ended it....nice one john...

as for the positives, so far averaged in gains of 5% gained on CHF/GBP and 4.4% gained on JPY/USD which has been super.

overall at a little over £6k up so still in the plus. ill try and get some tables going of opening/ended/current positions as random ££ amounts means nothing really.

gl.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
on another low, crude oil is really annoying. i had a stop loss at $89.90 or so, the lowest the position hit was $90.05 according the igindex but they ended the position and it's now up at $97 or so, irratating. ive been busy the past week so didnt realise they had ended it....nice one john...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a classic problem with spread trading. Since you are trading a derivative of a derivative, the market you are trading often has spikes not seen in the underlying. The market moves overnight also and you can get stopped out if the broker's algorithms calculate your stop was hit, even if the underlying market never traded at that level on that particular day.

It's possible with some SB brokers to buy the SB quote but place stops that are triggered by the underlying market. This might be an option for you to investigate.