Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Quitting Smoking

[ QUOTE ]
I've quit as of Saturday. Only cracked once so far just to have a puff off a cigar and thats it so im pretty pleased with myself.

I've never had all that much trouble quitting smoking before although I always end up smoking again. I think it basically comes down to me having to quit drinking for a month as well because when I drink its basically gameover.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Regarding the various nicotine replacement products:
if you are going to try the patch, go straight to the 21 mg. The others simply don't release enough nicotine into your system. The gum may be a better choice, since you can determine how much nicotine you get. You can release more nicotine into your system by chewing more.

I don't have much in terms of clever tricks. How about making your car a no-smoking zone?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always keep a pack of cigs and a light on me, i rarely smoke though, if im super stressed and just need a break (which is rare), or if Im at a bar I might have one or two. I dont even go through a pack a week, maybe half of one, so I dont know what true addiction is like. A couple of my friends have had the procedure where they shock your ears, and they all quit cold turkey after smoking a pack+ a day. I cant remember what the name is of the procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have friends that can smoke on and off like this. I can't. It's all or nothing with me.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:05 PM

I went for a little over two weeks around January. After a night of heavy drinking, I can go almost all day without a square for some reason. So that day I decided to go ahead and quit cold turkey. The first couple of days were rough, but it got easier. I didnt drink either because I knew I would relapse.

Alas, I finally really wanted to get drunk and ironically enough I was watching Thank You For Smoking. I bought a pack afterwards. Im come to the conclusion that the only way I can quit smoking is if I dont go to a bar or get drunk for at least three weeks. My definite stopping point is before im 25 years old.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:08 PM

I hate the term "cold turkey". It makes that way of quiting sound dumb. I prefer this way because you actually see how dependant you were, and you actually feel your body healing. it really sucks for about 3 days after that you feel better, once you hit 2 weeks your golden.

it took me a little while of thinking about it before I actually quit. I would just remind myself everyday how dumb it was until i got tired of being a smoker. Its kind of a lifestyle change. don't think "I'm just gonna quit". Think "I'm not a smoker and I don't want to be"
Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

For the first time in my life I am going to try to quit today. I just smoked my last cig in my pack and was actually like "wow I should just quit" and found this thread.

Bad news is I am going out tonight, but the chick I am hanging out with is a non smoker so it shouldnt be too tough. We'll see how I am when I get home and drunk.

Edit: I started out socially smoking in college, I'm 29. I never smoked during work, maybe 4-5 packs a week. but I would light up as soon as left the office. Since I quit my job it's been really downhill, at least a pack a day.

Edit 2: I really feel like a smoke.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By the way did anyone here notice that nicotine patches stop you sleeping deeply and give you really strange trippy dreams? Kinda fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried using the patch for awhile. I had to take it off before I went to sleep because I'd be freaked out for the first 5 hrs I'd wake up trying to either remember or forget the vivid dream I had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - I've worn the patch for the last three nights and I can't sleep. I lie awake for two-three hours trying to sleep but unable to. Then I sleep lightly with really intense lucid screwed-up dreams. I wake up every hour or two, before returning to the weird dreams. I think the patches stop you from reaching the deepest stage of sleep.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Advice for op: get some extasy, have a party with some friends and drop a pill, you will chain smoke like never before. when the high of the ex wears off you will feel like gutter trash. that is your incentive to quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably going to make him want a cigarette.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:47 AM

Wife and I quit 8 days ago after a pack a day for ~13 years. Started taking Wellbutrin for a week before we quit, but I stopped taking it a few days ago because the new pills were too big.

Just went to the bar last night and had to leave a little early cause I knew if I stayed I was gonna cheat.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nicotine patches + read Allen Carr. I'm 46 hours without a cigarette right now. Usually smoke 15+ a day, been smoking four years. Kind of managing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you read Carr quite close enough. He advocates zero nicotine replacement because, as he says, using nicotine to get over nicotine doesn't make a lot of sense (there are other reasons not to use nicotine replacement, but that one is the easy soundbite).

But I definitely reccomend his book. It'll help change your mindset on smoking. Quitting doesn't seem so hard afterward.

I smoked for over 10 years and am now a nonsmoker.