Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Quitting Smoking

I just got the pocket-size Little Book of Quitting. But yes, there's a page where he says not to use patches or gum because they address physical addiction, which to him is a small issue, and not the main issue which is psychological dependence.

I have almost ZERO willpower in any area of my life at the moment, and there is no chance I could give up cold turkey while still being expected to do my job / leave the house.

I gave up caffeine three weeks ago, having drunk maybe eight caffeine drinks a day; I once completely gave up alcohol for 22 months. But I think I need some help on this one.

Even with a patch I'm finding today the toughest day, actually - 69 hours in - as I guess all the nicotine from the cigarettes I smoked through Tuesday has finally left my system. My skin is really crawling.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nicotine patches + read Allen Carr. I'm 46 hours without a cigarette right now. Usually smoke 15+ a day, been smoking four years. Kind of managing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you read Carr quite close enough. He advocates zero nicotine replacement because, as he says, using nicotine to get over nicotine doesn't make a lot of sense (there are other reasons not to use nicotine replacement, but that one is the easy soundbite).

But I definitely reccomend his book. It'll help change your mindset on smoking. Quitting doesn't seem so hard afterward.

I smoked for over 10 years and am now a nonsmoker.

[/ QUOTE ]