Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 AM

Default trouble with AA

I'm a limit player trying to learn NL so go easy.

5/5 300/500 live game
I dwindled to 255 and all others cover.

UTG straddles to 10, EP calls 10

I raise to 35 with AA. button, UTG, and EP call.
flop 455. checked to me and I push 220 into $140 pot.

2/5 NL with 300 cap. I have 300 and opponents cover.
MP limps (tight player), LP limps (loose talkative player, call him "Big Fun Guy"
I raise 20 more in the BB with AcAh hoping someone will re-raise.

EP folds, "Big Fun Guy" calls.
So far he has pushed all in on the flop 3 times in the past few orbits. He showed pair of Aces no kicker once, TPTK once, and no showdown once.

Flop Qh 9h Tc

I bet 25, and he pushes all in for $250 more. I say "man" and pick up my cards like I'm going to fold, but then pause to think.
He says "you're actually thinking about it? it's an easy fold"
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Re: trouble with AA

1 I don't like at all. Live players don't fold pre, so I definitely think you should raise more preflop. Make it ~60. Your raise size is really bad there. Why'd you shove the flop?! Seems like a way to make everything except 5x fold. It's not like you're protecting against much either. Bet 70 and let them do something stupid!

2 Again raise more pre. Bet more on flop too, and snap call his shove given your read on this guy.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:14 AM

Raise alot more pre in hand 1, raise more pre in hand 2 and bet more on the flop.

I think you got some fancy play syndrome or something, wtf @ shoving flop 1? Thats horrible
Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 PM

vpip,
what else is he going to do in 1? i guess just bet regular could be an option but shoving is hardly FPS.

1- raise more pre so flop you can shove easier. obv reload if you can [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] as stated previously, i would typically bet the flop a bit smaller to get calls from 88 (which you still probably will).

2- as stated, raise more pre. live players will always call large raises and like...5xbb + 1 for every limper should be pretty standard i would think. given opponent description, i call.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:15 AM

Thanks for the input.
I'll work on making my standard raise bigger.

I suppose a bet of 70 in hand one has a better chance of promoting good action (bluffs) instead of trying to make 66-TT curious enought to call. I've been running bad and maybe I'm trying to hard to avoid hard decisions.

result: UTG had 45 for the flopped full house

In hand two I first thought about folding, but then his talking made me curious so I called. I was hoping he had a pair+ draw but he had 9T for the flopped two pair. MHING
Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 AM

hand 1: you gotta raise more preflop. with the straddle you are playing 5/5/10, and then a limper. make it at least 50, probably slightly more given stacks. on the flop i like a smaller bet. online a shove would be fine, but live games just play different and your flop bet will be perceived as really huge. otoh if you bet like 60 or 70 now, similar on turn and river you will get called down by 77. it's not like any hands they could have have any outs vs you.

hand 2: his table talk makes me think like he wants a call. but hell, i still can't fold it vs the guy as you descrbied.