Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Because its a TAG, I don\'t fold ($50 Full Tilt)

[ QUOTE ]
this is a bad call. you'll lose money in the long run making calls like this in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really depends on the opponent doesn't it? I believe I said in the first post taht I called specifically because the player was TAG and I made a series of assumptions based on what I know about how TAGs play. If the opponent was a calling station or a rock, I may even fold on the flop.

Is it your contention that top paper so-so kicker is never worth a showdown against an aggressive player?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain has TAG stats. As such I've been stealing his blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've been stealing his blinds, he's not been giving you any aggression/resistance. When he does, you automatically put him on a FD exclusively or at least enough to call a 2/3rd PSB on the river with TPNK?

I really think this thread was just a brag about your dead on read on villain.

I was just trying to let you know it's not a winning play in the long run. Specifically, this player seems very solid, and I doubt he'll bluff you ever again after you called that river.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've been stealing his blinds, he's not been giving you any aggression/resistance. When he does, you automatically put him on a FD exclusively or at least enough to call a 2/3rd PSB on the river with TPNK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't post it if I wasn't open to hearing arguments. I outlined why I made the assumptions I did. And I know I don't have the best hand here all the time. The question is am I good here about 40% of the time, then I have to call. The way it was played, I thought the odds were he had a low set or a flush draw.

I fold hands that others would call nitty all the time. And I've repeatedly said if the player was a TAG, I would likely have folded.

I explained why I thought this was right. You haven't explained where my logic was flawed.

Assuming you're tag, you don't ever play a flush/gutshot draw the way he does?

I don't consider it a brag. If the majority of people articulated that it was foolhardy I would think it over. I don't get the impression it was horrible. One person who plays higher suggested that I was too passive! That I should have been raising.

[ QUOTE ]
I was just trying to let you know it's not a winning play in the long run. Specifically, this player seems very solid, and I doubt he'll bluff you ever again after you called that river.

[/ QUOTE ] Well, you may be right. And believe me, if the situation came up again between him and I, it would be in my mind that he knows I'll call down with top pair and I would give his river bet more consideration.

on another note- I believe there's a post in the FAQ section that talks about how, if you're playing laggy, you have to sometimes call down lighter when people are playing back you. You also have to consider the texture of the flop. So (1) if there wasn't a flush draw I'm not calling the river bet. (2) If I haven't been stealing his blinds, then I have to give him more respect. ie- because he thinks I'm being too aggressive, I have to realize he will play back lighter. This is stuff I'm trying to think about and incorporate into my game. And that is why I posted this hand. Believe me, I'm not successful enough at poker to have a lot of need to brag.

I am still learning and don't even consider myself that good a player. But I think about this
Old 08-02-2007, 02:35 PM

Here's my logic as to why this is a fold, as I previously stated.
[ QUOTE ]
for those of you saying the bet 1/2pot turn and 2/3rd river is a bluff, I think you're wrong.

Villain probably has hero on AK/AQ and thinks he's going to stack off here. I put villain on set/two pair here 90% of the time with 10% being a busted FD.

I don't call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think villain has a flush draw 40% of the time, so this play is not profitable.

[ QUOTE ]
So (1) if there wasn't a flush draw I'm not calling the river bet. (2) If I haven't been stealing his blinds, then I have to give him more respect. ie- because he thinks I'm being too aggressive, I have to realize he will play back lighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to give him credit the first time he starts playing back at you. If this was like the 2nd/3rd time he's played back, then it's fine.