Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Note Taking?

So, the thing I feel is holding me back the most right now is my lack of detailed reads. Since I'm 5-7 tabling, this means notes - PAHUD gets me part of the way there, but I feel like I need to get a little more detail on what the hell people are doing.

I'm just looking for suggestions as to what people look for to make a note, and what the notes say.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Note Taking?

Some pf notes :
Cap ATo
Didn't raise QQ
Steal w/ 92o

Postflop :

Donks into pfr w/ ...
CR and lead turn w/ ...
Bluff raise scare cards
Call all the way w/
no draw, call flop,turn, fold river
Doesnt value bet enough
Can fold to Flop CR
can fold turn lead after CR

etc...
but I don't make enough notes...multitabling...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 PM

I just try and write down if I see something out of line. Except usually I just end up write GODDAMN DONK CALLS 4 BETS COLD PF WITH 56o AND GOES RUNNER RUNNER TWO PAIR or something similar
Old 04-16-2007, 03:12 PM

My note taking is not as efficient as it could be, but I do try. IMO, the most important aspect of note taking is the relevance to making a (sometimes close) decision. For example "raised AKo pf" is useless. You also want to take notes that are deviations from what you expect as default play.

So... I take a lot of notes about flop donks (or donks in general), like, "donk TP on f HU w/ pfr OOP." I don't take many preflop notes. Sometimes I take a general note like "donks flop, checks turn a lot" which would be a guy I'd be less likely to wait for the turn to raise strong (top/overpair) hands. I always try and note 3-barrellers, because that directly affects my calling down range. The last type of note would be general notes like "CALL DOWN" or "V-TOWN" which I usually make in all caps to label a player.

I don't know, I should do a better job of taking notes... we all probably should, but it's not as fun as playing more tables, right!?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:14 PM

Taking notes on every player on every play makes for a lot of notes. So I tend to look for the important tendencies.

What do they c/r flop with
What do they c/r turn with
What do they donk with.
What hands do they valuebet with. In particular whether they check behind marginal hands on the river.

Finally as I multitable too much as well, I like general notes like. "Plays pretty honest", "get to showdown" or "likes to sexy"
Old 04-16-2007, 04:08 PM

I've been super lazy and haven't fixed my computer, so I've been PT/PAHUD-less for months now. I mostly 3-table, sometimes 4-table if I feel like I'm playing good/running good and my table image is good at at least 1/3 tables.

Important notes for me are:

- General style of play (i.e. TAG/LP/etc.)
- PF ranges, I mostly note how they deviate from mine so I can figure out how my equity matches up in various positions
- How well they play HU vs multiway
- Lines with various hands (this is probably most of my notes, and includes how often they'll check behind in pos., lines with marginal hands in/OOP, etc.)
- Valuebetting frequency (how thin they'll valuebet)
- If multitabling, how mechanical they play

Also, I make sure I note whether the player is taking specific lines against me at certain times vs. different lines against other players.

I really should get PT/PAHUD set up again tho, I'm probably missing a bunch of stuff. On the other hand I do have to pay attention more to each hand, and I think it helps my game.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM

This is by far the best note taking thread I have seen.
Some more "Notes on Notes" Nomadtla
Old 04-16-2007, 10:01 PM

The more Notes on Notes post is very good, however I found that I didn't have the discipline to keep a "chart" for notes while I played people. If you can do it great, but I just couldn't. However, there's lots of good stuff in there even if you don't do the chart.

A lot of good tips here. When I take notes it's usually has to do with how aggressive/passive they are postflop. I put asterisks next to items if I see them do the same thing often. When I see a guy with CDWAH*** (call down with A high) it means a lot more than just a .7 AF.

The most I do is 3 tables so I really don't know how you guys can keep decent notes doing more than that. Even at 3, I find I rely on PT too much. Anyway, I think most of us at times think we're not taking good notes. If you find yourself on autopilot, take a short break. Whenever I start screwing around I know it's time to stop.