Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Best Rendition of the (american) National Anthem

For my money it is this rendition by Marvin at the 1984 NBA All-Star game. Up until this point it was simply unacceptable to sing the national anthem any way other than straight forward.

To me, this is the epitome of the national anthem as it represents America as a melting pot. It is incredibly beautiful in a musical sense; and it shows us that it is okay for everyone to inject themselves and their culture into Americana. I know Jimi did it first; but I think Marvin did it better.

At the same time, as beautiful as it is, I almost wish he had never done it. This opened the door for people (who do not have one twentieth the talent) of Marvin to freely butcher the anthem in the name of artistic license.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Best Rendition of the (american) National Anthem

This thread has been done a couple of times, in Sporting Events forum, and in OOT back in the days before there was a Sporting Events forum.

But since you asked...

Placido Domingo My favorite. Listen to the crowd gasp at the first high note ("rockets' red glare"). Bonus points for being the inspiration for Enrico Pollazzo.

Huey Lewis and the News (a capella) They did this before an NBA all-star game. I didn't hear it, but I heard ABOUT it for weeks afterwards. Everybody loved it. I couldn't find a link to the all-star performance (and I still haven't seen/heard it), but here the boys give a little preview of what they had planned, on Japanese television.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:05 AM

Warplanes screaming down from the skies. Lament of machine gun fire. Wailing choruses for paradise lost. Cascading chutes of amp leaking notes. All this and more, from the Man. Woodstock, the original festival, Jimi Hendrix "Star Spangled Banner".

It's not even close.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:16 AM

chicago nhl allatar game
Old 03-20-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Warplanes screaming down from the skies. Lament of machine gun fire. Wailing choruses for paradise lost. Cascading chutes of amp leaking notes. All this and more, from the Man. Woodstock, the original festival, Jimi Hendrix "Star Spangled Banner".

It's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never were those last four words truer on these forums.

It's a stunning bit of artistry, talent, social comment, lament and even inspiration. Hendrix said he thought is was beautiful, and he was right.

I'm now decided I'm dedicating my life to getting the English National Anthem changed to something good.

I'm torn between The Who's 'Won't Get Fooled Again', Amazing Grace, and The Beatles 'All You need is Love', but I'm open to persuasion.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very good argument. As a lifelong guitar player I have often wondered whether or not everything in the Woodstock national anthem was intended. It is not debated that Jimi was severely loaded with acid at the time and the rest of his performance at Woodstock was okay at best.

I suppose you could argue that Da Vince might not have intended everything inferred by the Mona Lisa. Either way, what Jimi delivered at Woodstock was a virtuoso performance. I debated whether or not to post this because I knew Jimi would come up.

I cannot argue with people who prefer the Woodstock anthem. It is great in its own right. I love the depth from it; but if I had to listen to one version for the rest of my life I stand by my original pick.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 AM

One point that I forgot to mention in my OP is this: when Marvin sings 'O say, does thy star spangle' it really comes across as a question. In most renditions it seems that the answer is a given; but somehow everytime I listen to this rendition I find myself answering the question and the answer is always a yes if for no other reason than our culture has produced so great a talent.

I do not usually gush over a particular singer; but Marvin is unique in his ability to be quietly powerful.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Consider this.........

Great rendition by Marvin Gaye.

Let me throw some controversy at this one....

I submit that "America the Beautiful" by Ray Charles SHOULD be our National Anthem.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:31 AM

Before she went crazy...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before she went crazy...

[/ QUOTE ]

The Whitney Houston performance is so effortless and amazing that it boggles the mind.