Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 05:09 AM

Default Flopped underfull against strong player 400bbs... $2/$5

The game is half PLO half NL.

This was a tough hand because I could not get an accurate read of my opponent. I know he is a good player because he kept switching gears on me. We have been very friendly up until this point (around six hours into the session). We are pinging bets, prop betting flops, and generally doing anything we can to get the donks to start gamboooooling.

That being said, we have stayed out of each others way for the most part. I stacked him early in the session in hold em when I flopped a straight against his middle set. We are both up alot. I have been playing pretty loose and aggressive; but I have not made many moves in PLO. I think he has around $1700 and I cover barely.

The last couple of orbits he has been playing very fast; but not showing down many hands. This is full ring.

MP limps.
CO limps.
Villain limps Button.
I complete in the small blind with 9934 (34s)
BB checks.

Flop comes 9TT rainbow (I think there was a diamond because I had 34dd)

I lead for $25
MP calls
Villain raises the pot limit

I am looking for any viable line here. Please help me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Flopped underfull against strong player 400bbs... $2/$5

An underfull OOP is a great way to lose a lot of money, especially when deep-stacked. There are a couple of options here, and none of them are particularly attractive IMO.

If villain is solid he should know that you're never leading out with anything less than a T (ie. a random straight draw) - I'm assuming you wouldn't into a field of donks. This doesn't make it less likely that he could be pulling a move on you, but the fact that after a caller he raises makes it significantly less likely (again, assuming he's solid) that he's making a move on you. Thus, his most likely hand would be a T with an overcard or two with probably an A in there or top full (would he pump the button with a hand like TJQA or 789T?)

The options are to either 3-bet him or to call and see what the turn brings. 3-betting seems pretty yuck to me, because he sounds like the kind of guy who, if he calls, you're going to be facing an extremely tough turn decision. Calling and checking the turn seems like a better option but again isn't without it's flaws. Would he bet the turn without a full? Would he triple-barrell you if you call a turn bet as well?

All in all, an extremely tough spot and a great way to lose a night's profits. If the game is as good as you say, you could go weak-tight, fold to his raise and get away real cheap from this hand and wait for an easier spot against one of the donks.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:00 AM

What I do in this spot depends on the tendencies of the MP player. If he'll call with any ten if you smoothcall but fold most tens if you reraise
I would def reraise.

If MP is likely to be calling here with a lot of hands including straight draws then I just smoothcall to keep him in and keep the pot smaller OOP.

Finally if MP is likely to fold the turn to aggro unimproved I would smoothcall the flop and make a small checkraise on the turn J-A came. If the villain just called I'd block the river or check call if he is over aggro.

Playing a big pot in this kind of spot without a very solid read is a huge mistake.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:06 AM

It is funny because I put him on pretty much the exact same range of hands that you did. My problem with calling is that a 7,8,J,Q,K,A are all very yucky cards for me as they are all equally likely to give him a higher full house. I could 3-bet/fold to a push; but MP is still in and what do I do if he flat calls after MP folds. Is folding the flop here a terrible play?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I do in this spot depends on the tendencies of the MP player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point; and unfortunately MP had only been sitting for a few orbits. FWIW my read is that MP is terrible; but I have no idea what that means. I do know that he was stuck playing craps because he kept talking about how he could neutralize the house advantage with the way he threw the dice. All in all he is great to play against in PLO because he obviously likes to gambool; and he probably lost a g ball or more on the craps table. If I were guessing MP probably has some sort of draw; but a crappy ten is not out of his range.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:43 AM

Also, is betting the pot on the flop with three players to act asking for trouble? Is checking the flop okay, and if so why?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:44 AM

Standard play is usually to c/r the flop and lead the turn but leading out on most turns, basically to win the pot as early as possible when you are ahead. Leading out is ok too.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:45 AM

MP is possibly drawing dead already or very thin. If you had the chance to isolate him it would be perfect, but that seems particularly hard to do in this situation. If you just call the raise, and MP does as well, I think it is unlikely that villain will fire again on turn without a full. Like the Rempel said, it's pretty much criminal to play a big pot here without solid reads, so keeping the pot small is a must. I like a call, and regardless of whether MP calls as well, I check, being prepared to fold to any heat.

I really don't think folding the flop here is a terrible play. In fact it is a much better play than playing a big pot deep, OOP with your underfull. However, I'd generally call the raise and see what action unfolds next, knowing it's not likely to be favourable.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Finally if MP is likely to fold the turn to aggro unimproved I would smoothcall the flop and make a small checkraise on the turn J-A came.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow i missed a few words there. What I meant to say was 'and make a small checkraise UNLESS a J-A came'.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:59 AM

Really great responses. I love this forum because I am two for two in getting good solid advice.

I feel tempted to reveal the results now; but will wait until tomorrow so that other posters get a chance to weigh in. The Rempel has already hit upon a key point (how MP plays) and it ended up being a reason why I posted the thread in the first place. See you tomorrow. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]