Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2007, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Boondock Saints

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is a carnival in my town right now and it's absolutley astounding how little fathers will allow their daugthters to wear. It' also astounding to just what extent they will ignore my gawking. I got lost last night because of tunnel vision induced by a young girl who accidentally wore her little sisters shorts or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Was anyone else expecting him to use irreverent in the correct context in this random tangent?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like you pudge

And for the rest of you watching this thread within a thread highjack, I mean that the word irreverent by it's definition induces ideas of the subject entity being in a state of careless rebellion, a thing to do as it will without regard for the current order of things. In other words, to be irreverent, one must possess a lack of reverence for some thing, the subject entity. In the case of a movie, being irreverent of the pervading cinematic atmosphere is a requisite of making any classic film. You must go against the grain in that sense. So, in this way I see irreverent as the worst possible adjective to use when speaking of art. Doesn't anyone else notice this near criminal butchery of an otherwise meaningful word?

When I said those who understand semantic construction and proper usage don't use the word often, I was commenting on how few situations we speak of which require that exact concept. TO speak of a person as irreverent is a different matter altogether.

And I enjoyed Boondock Saints, not really on a cerebral level, but rather as a showcase for richly articulated characters playing out vivid scenes of violence and philistine vulgarity.

Cam