Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Going to Japan

Wife and I are taking a 2-week trip to Japan next month. I've never been, don't speak the language and am looking for tips from people who've been. Some thoughts I have so far:

* We definitely plan to spend some time in Tokyo and Kyoto. Any other cities we should plan trips to? Any other daytrips that are worthwhile? How about good places to stay? Worth doing the "Japanese inn" thing?

* Restaurant/nightlife recommendations are appreciated. We're pretty adventurous when it comes to food and money's not much of an object, so fill me in on the balla places.

* Definitely want to catch some Japanese baseball while we're there -- it's one of the reasons we're making the trip. Besides the Tokyo Dome, any other must-see stadiums? What's the deal with those synchronized cheering sections? Any way I can get hooked up with one and make an ass of myself?

* Tips on places to see bizarre Japanese pop culture very much appreciated. If there's somewhere we can see the world's biggest Pokemon or something similar, I'm all about that.

* Wife is a karaoke fiend (she's good) and is psyched to be visiting its birthplace. Do they have places where you perform in front of the whole bar, or do we need to hook up with a group of drunk Japanese businessmen and get a private room?

* I realized we'll be in the country during the anniversary of V-J Day, and plan suitable American celebration. I'll definitely be wearing a Joey Chestnut t-shirt all day, but other suggestions (that won't get me jailed or deported) are welcome.

So help me out OOT. Trip report w/ pictures will follow when I return.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Going to Japan

you should check out the silver beats

http://www.silverbeats.com/english/index.html
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Awesome. This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for -- it's on the list. Keep em coming.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:44 PM

Read "Dave Barry Does Japan." I'm not kidding.

SpaceAce
Old 07-14-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
* We definitely plan to spend some time in Tokyo and Kyoto. Any other cities we should plan trips to? Any other daytrips that are worthwhile? How about good places to stay? Worth doing the "Japanese inn" thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

A day in Yokohama (about 45 min. by train from Tokyo) would be worthwhile. Visit Chinatown, Motomachi, Minato Mirai, Minato no Mieru Oka Koen, Foreigners' cemetary (gaikokujin bochi), etc. I would definitely recommend staying at a Japanese Inn (called "ryokan") if you get a chance, preferably while in Kyoto. Ideally, look for one that includes a hot springs ("onsen"), and at any rate, make sure to to visit an outdoor hot spring while there. Kamakura (just outside of Yokohama) is another nice area, but probably redundant if you're going to be visiting Kyoto. In Tokyo, some of the more interesting districts are Shibuya (young hip area that is unbelievably crowded), Shinjuku (likewise crowded, where you'll find Tokyo's red light district), and Ginza (Tokyo's upscale area).

[ QUOTE ]
* Restaurant/nightlife recommendations are appreciated. We're pretty adventurous when it comes to food and money's not much of an object, so fill me in on the balla places.

[/ QUOTE ]

No specific restaurant suggestions, but make sure to experience a kaiseki meal (often served at the ryokan). This is a light, artfully prepared, multicourse traditional Japanese meal not to be missed. Another Japanese staple is the "izakaya," or Japanese eatery and bar. Some of these are chains, others are hole-in-the-wall dives, but they all offer a wide range of little dishes to be enjoyed with beer or sake (nihon-shu). A place called "Watami" is one such izakaya chain.

Be sure to experience any of the many Japanese bread and cake bakeries found anywhere and everywhere, which are almost without exception fantastic. Also, the lower floor of any major department store is usually dedicated to a wide variety of food offerings, and just browsing these is a cool experience.

[ QUOTE ]
* Tips on places to see bizarre Japanese pop culture very much appreciated. If there's somewhere we can see the world's biggest Pokemon or something similar, I'm all about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the Harajuku section of Tokyo, especially on Sunday mornings, for a bizzare gathering of costume players (cosupure)and other bizzare fashions. Akihabara in Tokyo is basically the electronics capital of the universe, and there is also much to see there in the way of anime, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
* Wife is a karaoke fiend (she's good) and is psyched to be visiting its birthplace. Do they have places where you perform in front of the whole bar, or do we need to hook up with a group of drunk Japanese businessmen and get a private room?

[/ QUOTE ]

More karaoke places provide private rooms ("boxes") for you to sing your lungs out with no fear of embarrassment. There are also karaoke lounges, called "snacks," where patrons can sing in front of one another, and here is where you'll find your drunk businessmen (and money-loving "hostesses). I'd opt for the karaoke boxes.

Japan is amazing. I'm sure you'll have a great experience.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:30 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't so much a place as it is a style of restaurant, but I would try to visit a robatayaki-style restaurant. Basically, the patrons all sit around a giant table, on which the ingredients for the food sits. The cooks stand in the middle, and when they get you order they grab what they need, cook it at a zillion degrees and hand straight toward you. Between the food and the waiters and cooks constantly shouting at each other, it's an experience.

Also? Sushi-go-rounds. They're kitschy, but in a good way.

[ QUOTE ]
What's the deal with those synchronized cheering sections?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a game over there, but in Dave Barry Does Japan (which I also recommend) he mentions how he said "all right, Hara" at one point during a Giants game, without raising his voice, and hundreds of people turned around to see who said it. If you grew up in a Western fandom environment, you probably won't have to hook up with a fan group; you chance of making an ass of yourself are excellent anyway [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have heard that going to a game is expensive, though, since the Giants (and other teams) are so popular. I'll bet you'll need to find a scalper to get in, if you don't have tickets already.

You should do the Japanese inn thing as well. Be aware you could very easily be the only non-Japanese there, since that's what vacationing Japanese do, so you might become a tourist attraction down yourselves. Don't let us down [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 03:54 PM

This forum might be of some help:

http://www.japantoday.com/forum
Old 07-14-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should check out the silver beats

http://www.silverbeats.com/english/index.html

[/ QUOTE ]

D,

Did you see them with the Killers? They got a standing o at the show I saw.

fyc
Old 07-14-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wife and I are taking a 2-week trip to Japan next month. I've never been, don't speak the language and am looking for tips from people who've been. Some thoughts I have so far:

* Definitely want to catch some Japanese baseball while we're there -- it's one of the reasons we're making the trip. Besides the Tokyo Dome, any other must-see stadiums? What's the deal with those synchronized cheering sections? Any way I can get hooked up with one and make an ass of myself?

* I realized we'll be in the country during the anniversary of V-J Day, and plan suitable American celebration. I'll definitely be wearing a Joey Chestnut t-shirt all day, but other suggestions (that won't get me jailed or deported) are welcome.

So help me out OOT. Trip report w/ pictures will follow when I return.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if they still have them, but I missed the last train home in Tokyo many years ago and stayed in a capsule hotel. Rather than rent a room, you rent a cubicle that's about the size of a spacious coffin; you have common-area showers and lockers and the like, but you sleep in a stacked cubicle. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but I'm glad I did it then.

Link here says they still exist:

http://www.links.net/vita/trip/japan.../capsulehotel/
Old 07-14-2007, 04:34 PM

I always felt that if I went to Japan, I would have to visit a bunch of Pachinko parlors. Whether you like the game or not, it's just such a particularly Japanese thing and so gigantically popular and elaborate there(or it used to be anyway).

Also, how do you feel about eating some whale?