Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 10:32 AM

Default S8 10/20 hand

So from my 1st posting, if I'm playing it, bring it in w/a raise which is what I did... fold 3rd? Does the rest play itself? Did I miss any value anywhere?

Thanks!

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (5.10 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.55 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (8.55 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (12.55 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (12.55 BB)
Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: S8 10/20 hand

I've been trying to understand Hi-Lo and have questions on this hand on 4th - 6th.

4th -- What about raising hoping to jam out some of the apparent lows? There are two aces showing, but all our cards are very live. Is this a reasonable approach?

5th -- What about checking, hoping for a bet, then check-raising, again hoping to drive some of the other hands out?

6th -- Again, what about raising?

My biggest uncertainty with this game is judging when jamming the pot might be correct.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:01 PM

The open pair of aces really cripples our hand, even if we don't think he has two pair. And other players can still beat us for high as well. I don't think raising would be very wise.

I think the hand was played ok though folding 3rd would as usual be tempting.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:48 PM

i fold 4th.

not b/c i dont think your hand is best now, but that it probably wont be by the end of the hand.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:18 PM

i tend to fold 3rd... u got a whole load of babies waitin in line to get in the pot... and they're not all gonna brick... so ur essentially playin for half the pot... also there's that ace lurkin back there too... but once u decide to play ur pair, raisin is good.

4th; i tend to fold here too... none of the lows bricked, which sucks... so now ur even more likely to only get half of the pot. it might end up bein a biggish pot, but ur kings aren't exactly unbeatable (though unlikely, u could even be behind right now). the one gr8 thg abt ur hand is that itz really live, so continuin is probably ok.

maybe itz just me, i just dun like gettin myself into spots where i've got near no chance at one half of the pot whilst everyone is gettin a free shot to scoop me.

btw, if u play on, i think callin is probably better than raisin on 4th. if they're decent (and i dunno wat 10/20 plays like) they'll fold 2nd best low draws anyway.

after that, there's not much u can do... the open aces are bad news, but on the flip side, it doesn't look like anyone's plannin to get into a raisin war so u got to showdown fairly cheaply!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:25 PM

hmm... just remembered that 3rd got raised and it's a pretty big pot. so maybe (and i'm not sure) if u decide to play on, u need to raise 4th to give the 2nd best low draws more incentive to get out. they may be tempted/right to peel otherwise.

the wuss in me still tells me to fold though! lol
Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 PM

Fold third, fold fourth, fold sixth, rest is standard.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been trying to understand Hi-Lo and have questions on this hand on 4th - 6th.

4th -- What about raising hoping to jam out some of the apparent lows? There are two aces showing, but all our cards are very live. Is this a reasonable approach?

5th -- What about checking, hoping for a bet, then check-raising, again hoping to drive some of the other hands out?

6th -- Again, what about raising?

My biggest uncertainty with this game is judging when jamming the pot might be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising fourth is bad. You are an enormous dog in this hand on fourth if your opponents are anything close to sane. Folding > Calling > Raising.

Checking fifth is bad, as there will only be a bet if you are behind. Raising a bet is again suicidal. Betting out is clearly best.

Raising sixth is bad. You are being free-rolled, and might be drawing slim for half the pot. Folding here is probably best.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:30 PM

I just fold third - you have a one-way hand with many low cards behind you including an ace. Am I way off?

Jeff
Old 09-22-2006, 07:25 PM

I agree: because there's an ace yet to act, I don't want anything to do with a brick pair. Easy fold on third.