Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 07:00 PM

Default In an attempt to gain some chips...

I played this pretty bad. I'm leaving the whole HH so everyone can tell me how bad I am.

What should I have done preflop? Please go through the whole hand and tell me what I should have done differently.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t2430
UTG+1: t2365
CO: t1845
Button: t2285
Hero: t1960
BB: t4625

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, Button calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t75)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t200</font>, BB folds, Button calls t150 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t300)</font>.

I'm raising to represent a strong hand. The BTN limp is pretty weak.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t450, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t300</font>, Button calls t300 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t750)</font>.

So I miss, as usual. I make a cbet to try to take it down, and I don't.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t1050, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

Weakness time. Should I have just fired again? I didn't really think he was folding, but why would he check behind if he's calling my flop bet?

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t1050, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to t800</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: t400 returned to Button.

I guess this is kind of a weak bet, but I wanted to try to represent a K and hope he goes away without committing myself too much to this hand.

Results:
Final pot: t1850

Moral of the hand: I suck at poker.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: In an attempt to gain some chips...

I don't really like playing big pots OOP with QJ.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:18 PM

I like a muck preflop. I dont hate your thinking.

I think being oop on this ragged flop with a hand you raised preflop you really need to fire a second barrel to have any credibility.

If you knew you would get called, get called on the flop, and have to fire again, would you still have raised preflop?

Muck preflop, if you fire at the flop and get just called i think a second barrel is mandatory. You have no credibility betting this river.. seriously he is to think you raised king eight preflop and checked the turn? The river bet size is maybe too much, but its arguable, and depends on what your standard river bet size is
Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM

How is my river bet too much? I was thinking it was too little.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:25 PM

When you check the turn he knows you have absolutely nothing. Im surprised he checked the 8 on the turn card. My only rationale for him checking it is that he has 78, and wants you to bluff the river. You fire at the king which I dont hate as you could have AK or KQ, but I think it is just better to give this pot up.

Theoretically he could have a straight draw or flush draw, so you might be able to take it down on the river, but I think most players bet the turn with a draw.

doh, i was looking at the wrong line somehow, thought you bet 400 at 450pot, yeah i dunno 400 into a 1k pot seems about right for a river bet bluff, the bet sizing for a bluff on the river is very player dependant. Personally I feel highly inclined to bet exactly what I would bet if I was trying to get paid off. 400 at 1k is about right

raise more pf or fire 2 barrels

i donīt mind attacking those limpers in lp
(this gets more and more usual as the restealing frequency gone thru the roof) but then we either punish them badly pf or follow thru on more streets
Old 03-14-2007, 07:34 PM

FX,

If button is weak/tight I dont mind a raise, you can take the pot down a lot of the time. Otherwise, playing this hand for a raise oop with your stack sucks. I would usually complete. I'll lead a lot of low/rag flops and its pretty easy for a standard or weak player to assume your rags connected with the board. If I pair up, then obv play the hand for value.
As played, river bet is a spew.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 PM

I agree with themobfather about pf. As played it's fine except the river I'm probably checking. Sometimes you're behind a Axs type that you can fold out, but I think more often you're either ahead of a few missed draws or behind a lot of hands that probably aren't folding.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 PM

You guys would really muck preflop? Um, how about completing? I don't see a reason to push this hand given stack sizes, but QJ is certainly strong enough to call with in the SB for no raise.