Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Is There an MP3 Sorting Program?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question so mods, please move it if this is the case.

I have a rather large collection of MP3s on my computer. They are all located in My Music folder, but they are not grouped into separate folders for artist. Instead, there is just a long list of folders titled with the album name because when I download a new album I save it directly to My Music folder. Now this isn't a big deal because Winamp and Windows Media Player automaically sort it by the ID3 tag or whatever.

My question is: Does a program exist that can read the tags of all of my MP3s and arrange them into folders for artist and then album. Or, is there a way to do this with Winamp or WMP?

Thanks in advance for you help,

Brandon
Old 01-24-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Is There an MP3 Sorting Program?

We talked about this sort of sorting a while ago, but I don't remember the name of the app. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It was free software, and it could file mp3s based on their ID3 tag. Like, it'd put an mp3 in A\B\C\[D] E.mp3, where A was the genre, B was the artist, C was the album, D was the track number, and E was the track title.

If nobody remembers the name, some concerted searching through CTH should find the old thread.
-Sam
Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 AM

I'm sure there are simpler windows apps for this, but itunes is free and can do exactly this, assuming everything is tagged right. I really hate itunes 7 though. You could just install it, point it to the directory, tell it to reogranize, then uninstall it. Or you may end up liking it as a player/library app.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 PM

musicbrainz

It uses a central internet database to both tag and rename/folder-ize mp3 files. Very sweet program.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Thank you.