FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Call or fold?
Call 1 11.11%
Fold 8 88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2007, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Degen was just banned

i was sorta joking.

on the other hand, if people are going to say something that is obviously inflammatory, I expect it to be said well.

a one day ban is really not worth getting worked up over, is it?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:48 AM

Actually, what he wrote was way more crude and offensive than anything that's in BBV4L. You can argue that his argument was worded poorly perhaps, but really now, let's not try to explain away things like that.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Hi SM,

BBV4L is a comedy forum, none of the stuff you read there is genuinely racist. If it is, the mods take swift action to remove the poster. Steps have been taken there to stop even joking racism because people who don't understand the forum may read it and get the wrong impression about 2+2.

I have nothing against Degen and have answered some of his questions in the finance forum in the past. But based on what has been presented in this thread, I feel you can find a more productive way to spend your time than defending him.

If you are upset about the political correctness than just remember that 2+2 is a business and may be judged by what the posters on it's forums say. They have no incentive to allow unPC posts.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you are upset about the political correctness than just remember that 2+2 is a business and may be judged by what the posters on it's forums say. They have no incentive to allow unPC posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just not sure how correct this argument is when one considers some of the other inappropriate stuff around here.
They allowed that video about some guy having sex with a horse for awhile for example.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 AM

This is not quite true. Mason wanted the horse video removed as soon as he realized it was there.

Ultimately, Mason dictates things, and he takes a very cautious approach to everything.

I'm much less likely to feel that something is offensive than Mason. These are subjective issues.

And in the end we are a business. Whether we actively allow or disallow certain things will always take the business into account. We reserve the right to change these policies on a whim. Meaning usually, that Mason overrules my permisiveness, but not always.

In the specific case of Degen, it was a combination of many things. Blatant bigotry has never been tolerated by any of us. But none of us sees everything. We depend on the users to let us know when the enviroment becomes unpleasant. We will adjust the temperature accordingly.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just not sure how correct this argument is when one considers some of the other inappropriate stuff around here.
They allowed that video about some guy having sex with a horse for awhile for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link plz

J/K
Old 03-10-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was sorta joking.

on the other hand, if people are going to say something that is obviously inflammatory, I expect it to be said well.

a one day ban is really not worth getting worked up over, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mat -- you don't exactly seems to be a deep thinker on this subject...i will quote a good article in today's Wall Street Journal...

Our country now puts less of an emphasis on public decomrum, courtliness, self-discipline, decency.
America no longer says "That's not nice"....We have come to rely on censorship to maintain decorum. We are very good at letting people know that if they say something we don't like, we'll shame them and shun them..even ruin them.

But censorship doesn't make people improve themselves; it makes people want to rebel. It tells them to toe the line or pay a price. People who are urged in the right direction and taught in the right direction will usually try to discipline and improve themselves from within. Buy they do not enjoy censorship from without. THey fight back. THey are rude in order to show they are unbroken. This is human. ....

The atmosphere of policial correctness is now experienced by normal people - not people who speak on TV, but normal people--as so oppressive, so demadnign of constant self-policing. that when someone says something in public that is truly not nice, they can't help but feel that they are witnessing a prison break (this was in relation to Coulter et al)

As long as political correctness reigns, the more antic among us will try to break out with streams of Tourette's like forbidden words and ideas.
We should forbid less and demand more. We should exert less pressure from without and encourage more discipline from within. We should ask people to be dignified, hope they'll be generous, expect them to be fair. When they're not, we should correct them. But we shouldn't beat them to a pulp. Because that's not nice. (end quote)

Censorship sucks. It sucks all the more because it is generally employed by those in power, meaning those without power feel all the more powerless. I am socially liberal but I think Coulter has a right to say whatever she wants. If she wants to look like a hateful idiot...more power to her. Same thing with Degen. THere is a long history in the world of censoring people's ideas and thoughts...it is almost never for the better.

So, [censored] banning people for stating their opinions, no matter how distasteful they are to you.

SM
Old 03-10-2007, 10:29 PM

I have to reply, just to acknowledge your efforts, but free speech ain't anything 2+2, the business, is about.

I'm a huge proponent of free speech. That's an issue for the government to worry about, remember? I certainly don't want the government coming on these boards and dictating what I or you or anyone can say. And that isn't happening.

If you think this site has taken this too far, you'll be taken a lot more seriously if use examples other than degen.

I've never utilized this out before, but if this discussion is really going to continue:

I'll let others elaborate.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll let others elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 03-11-2007, 10:13 AM

Deg was actually one of my gimmick accounts. I just want to say sorry: it really was incrediblely immature and I wasted alot of the mods time and the time of many 2+2ers who use these forums. Also, somewhere between the lines of coke, my moral compass went astray, I regret sending that letter to the IRS. Finally, I would like to announce that for this weekend only, you can sign up for 25% rakeback at Fulltilt. That is right folks, this is a once in the lifetime opportunity. All controvorsy aside, you will not find a better deal anywhere else in the world from Sukhumwit Road to the Vegas Strip!