Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: about to colon cleanse - what\'s gonna happen to me?

[ QUOTE ]
They are more believable authority figures than random guys who post in forums. If we told someone that all he is seeing is casts of his intestines because of the clay he is ingesting, it would seem more arguable just because of who we are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying the whole thing is true, I'm just saying it can't be dismissed as ridiculous. fwiw I'm sure there's an element of hucksterism in it even if it is true.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:26 PM

BTW I just saw the Nova the other day about epigenetics where they talked about this isolated scandanavian town where they had all these records for the past few hundred years of the family lines and also the harvests. They figured out that grandchildren of people who were born during a famine were actually healthier (longer lives) than the grandchildren of people who were born in times of plenty. (something like that, it was complicated, but they had good data and the trend was very strong).

I'm definitely part of the anti-fasting crowd, but there are very complicated things that go on in the human body that are still not understood.

In any case, some real information would be nice.

One thing that we don't discuss much on this forum is that the whole bodybuilding diet, which is very high G-flux is likely to shorten your life. It's pretty well demonstrated that calorie restriction prolongs life, and overeating shortens life, that basically the more metabolic activity your body does the more likely various failures and diseases are. So all this "healthy lifestyle" stuff has its drawbacks.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I just saw the Nova the other day about epigenetics where they talked about this isolated scandanavian town where they had all these records for the past few hundred years of the family lines and also the harvests. They figured out that grandchildren of people who were born during a famine were actually healthier (longer lives) than the grandchildren of people who were born in times of plenty. (something like that, it was complicated, but they had good data and the trend was very strong).

[/ QUOTE ]

there was some thing where if your grandparent or g.g.p. was in a famine you were more likely to get diabetes or something, it was kinda a big story because nobody could figure out how that could happen. I think it was irish and irish famine thingee, not sure.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I fear anyone gullible enough to fall for this is not going to listen to anyone not a doctor, or maybe a witchdoctor.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? It's not like I'm asking about which workout machine to buy.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:06 PM

Not really. It takes much more credulity to believe this than to believe an exercise machine is a good idea. And buying an exercise machine is a pretty good idea, especially compared to not exercising. By contrast, there's really no value in this product, and the claims associated with this type of product are much more outlandish.

If you look at pictures of this sort of thing, which are all over the net, they are more than a little preposterous. People crapping out long monstrous things day after day, as if that stuff had been hiding inside them somehow. Where would it all be stuffed into? Certainly your guts are not capable of holding that kind of mass and spewing it for day after day. What you're pooping is casts of your intestine because the ingredients include a kind of clay. This has been debunked in a number of online sites, and there is commentary about it, from doctors too, in the OOT threads.

The ads are fundamentally deceptive and it requires a solid leap into gullibility to not realize something fishy is going on. FWIW, I found the ads so compelling I almost sent away for this kind of product myself at first. And I think of myself as extremely skeptical. But when ads put the kind of deep scare into you that these do, it's pretty powerful, and it almost hooked me.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:46 PM

your intestines don't have monstrous crap in them. its a fact. there's nothing more to discuss about it. If you take a strong laxative, by the end of the night the cupboard is bare. There is nothing else in there. Period.

Try taking a laxative for 5 days straight, no seeds or food whatsoever. after day 1 nothings coming out except water and pain.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really. It takes much more credulity to believe this than to believe an exercise machine is a good idea. And buying an exercise machine is a pretty good idea, especially compared to not exercising. By contrast, there's really no value in this product, and the claims associated with this type of product are much more outlandish.

If you look at pictures of this sort of thing, which are all over the net, they are more than a little preposterous. People crapping out long monstrous things day after day, as if that stuff had been hiding inside them somehow. Where would it all be stuffed into? Certainly your guts are not capable of holding that kind of mass and spewing it for day after day. What you're pooping is casts of your intestine because the ingredients include a kind of clay. This has been debunked in a number of online sites, and there is commentary about it, from doctors too, in the OOT threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was joking about the machine thing.

That's a good point about the clay. I agree that what comes out are casts of your intestines. If you look at the stuff, it's shaped like how you'd picture an intestinal "tube", with little lumps and crevices everywhere.

The part about all that stuff just residing in your intestines and then crapping them out I don't necessarily believe. But the thing definitely cleans you out. Like if you press a piece of clay against something, other things will stick to it. I'm sure you're right that a laxative could've done the same thing, and definitely for a lot cheaper. If I'm gullible here, it's for spending so much money on the stuff.

But, my main goal for doing it was to fast, which has many medical benefits, as described in that same OOT thread, and the clay definitely makes fasting tolerable. If something else could've done the same thing for less money, then I regret not using it.

Now with just one day to go, I'm glad I did it. Besides fat, cholesterol, and preservatives, I've also gone without caffeine and soda for a week, which would've been difficult w/o this fast, but that's another story.