Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:49 AM

Default PLO vs NLH learning curve

I am winning player in NLHE 2/4-5/10 and trying to learn PLO. I played NL rather cluelessly (and got away with it on PP then got killed after uigea). Like ayear ago I finally came through started to put people on specific ranges, playing my image etc. and now don't even understand how I did not go broke 2 years ago playing so bad.

Now I am totally in the dark with my PLO and the difference is that thanks to my NLHE experience I know how bad I am. Basic math of the game is easy but with value of hands changing during betting rounds its quite a mess. I can't imagine how to get to put people on anything else but aces PF and how to valuebet properly and probably 4000 other issues I don't even know about.

My question:
How long does it take for decent HE player to see the light?
How relevant are experiances from .5/1-1/2 when moving up?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: PLO vs NLH learning curve

get some coaching... it's well worth it.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:07 AM

PM RoundTower in the PLO forum for coaching, I think he does it.

As far as experiences, there are far more people that will just pot any four preflop then pot any flop and get away with it, but would go super-broke fast at NLHE. Bluffing is usually a bad idea unless you know Villain and their hand range very well and on a specific board. You need a much bigger roll for PLO due to swings, at least 30-40BI. Also, mix up how you play certain hands (don't always pot/re-pot Aces, 3-bet some suited runs or well-connected hands occasionally in position, mix up aggression factor when you have big draws postflop, etc.)

Best learning I did was reading the PLO forums, as there is little good written-material on PLO except for Slotbloom's short-stacking strategy.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My question:
How long does it take for decent HE player to see the light?
How relevant are experiances from .5/1-1/2 when moving up?

[/ QUOTE ]

1 10k hands will help alot if u have solid poker basics, go trough big pots after sessions check ur and opponents equity, not just feel u had big draw etc, also try adjusting his hands into bad and good scenarios

2 plo basic is same here as higher, but more handreading and stronger opponents later