Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Open raise amount level 1+2 (PS)

Because I run and play bad I am reviewing my game at this moment.
This question might not be really important, but it will help me to feel more certain and confident about my game.
I have been tweaking my open raising amounts for level 1 and 2 a bit.
I raise 4*BB(20)=80 the first level and 4*BB(30)=120 at level 2 from EP and 100 from late position.

1) What amounts do you raise during these levels?
2) Do you vary the amount on any factors like position, cards, players?

Note: I am talking about the first 2 levels at PS.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Open raise amount level 1+2 (PS)

My raising range for the level 1 and 2 on PS is...
JJ+AK+ (i only raise 3x with AQ dont ask why) In EP i raise 4xbb. Late position i will raise 3xbb+1bb for every limper with 1010+AQ+. I know i shouldn't be playing like a robot , and this may make thinking oppenents be able to put me on a hand but at my level (6.50's) i do not come across many thinking players (there are some though). The way i see it is if i raise UTG 4xbb with AA to thin the field and for value , the loose donk in MP isn't going to think nothing of it. He will see his cards , lets say K10s and call and put no thought into my raise from UTG.
I will vary the amount based on players too. If im in late position and the sb or bb is a loose station than i will tend to raise more for value based on that.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 AM

I've experimented with a range of bets, and frankly, at the lower limits, I don't think it much matters. Some guys will call almost any bet if they want to play, and some will fold to raises. You can't know which is which until you have a read. If you're watching the table closely, you can see what raises get widely called, and what ones only get called in a spot or two, and bet accordingly. Your amounts look okay to me in a vacuum, although I've started raising just 3BB from EP because I'm finding I can make smaller c-bets, and I haven't hit a flop with AK or AQ since Jeebus made cupboards.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 AM

I also bet 80 and 120, I'd probably go for 100 at level 2 but its not worth the trouble when 12-16 tabling.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 AM

No strict rules or anything but I open to 80/100 depending on players/position during the 1st level; 80 early pos, 100 mid pos, 80/100 late, 80 from SB. 2nd level I open to 120, 90 from SB. I raise the same amount with my whole range.

You probably can't get away with raising 100 during the 1st level at buy-ins over $16s I would guess.