Old 09-07-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Bands that drastically changed musical styles

Metallica. Spinal Tap(!).
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sugar Ray- they went from a metal band to a gay ass top40 band, biggest bunch of sellout lame asses ever IMO

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, I opened the thread just to say this. Also to add that I actually saw one of their old metal videos in HS on MTV's 120 Minutes, and they were even worse at that than the top 40 crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, me too. Good lord, they are sellouts.

Another band that comes to mind is Incubus. Songs from the album S.C.I.E.N.C.E are way different than some of their later stuff (Amber, Love Song, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

Except Love Song and Amber are by 311 and not Incubus.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bob Dylan-

Folk - Rock - Country - Gospel - Hip-Hop - Folk

I may be missing a few genres in there, and the hip-hop is obv. a joke

[/ QUOTE ]

Less of a joke than you would think. He has been called the first rapper by quite a few people.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st time I saw the Beastie Boys they were called the Young & the Useless at CBGBs, they were a typical NYC Hardcore band with punk influences (they worshiped the Bad Brains like the rest of us did back then). Their drummer was Kate Jackson from Luscious Jackson. They didn't do any rapping at all(check out Pollywog Stew for an example). A year later they came out with a joke 12" called Cookie Puss which surprisingly got some club play which made fun of Carvel's ice cream cake character. Rick Rubin picked them up and produced She's On It and that was the first punk-rap crossover album ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to nit you, but the Beastie Boys were always the Beastie Boys. It was Adam Yauch (MCA), Mike D, John Berry on guitar, and Kate Schellenbach (not Jackson) on drums.

Adam Horovitz (Adrock) was in a similar punk band (who wasn't back then?") called the Young and the Useless. BBoys dropped Berry and picked up Adrock. After Cookie Puss, they dropped Schellenbach and hooked up with Rubin, and so on.

They've done it all. Too much to type about but really a perfect answer for this thread. Them and the Beatles.

They (bboys) are my favorite of all time. I love everything they've done.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 PM

Chicago is a perfect example of a bad change. From 25 or 6 to 4, Make Me Smile, Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?, and Saturday in the Park to You're the Inspiration piano-chord+vocals+cheesy guitar solo crap. They drastically diminished their key instruments, horns/saxes. Granted, it was after Terry Kath's tragic death, and he made the band great with his brilliant guitarmanship, I really don't understand how they could eliminate the jazzy sound completely.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Slipknot and to a lesser degree, Mudvayne

[/ QUOTE ]

What was Slipknot before they went metal?

[/ QUOTE ]

They were still metal but if you listen to "Volume 3: Subliminal Messages" it's lost a ton of it's edge. My favorite quote about their self titled album was "sounding like they were pounding drums to the center of the Earth". "Iowa" was still hard, but "Vol 3" is a big change.

[/ QUOTE ]
We're talking about drastic changes. Not a metal band still being a metal band, but being a little softer. I.e., a non-metal fan would still say Vol 3 is hard as hell, even though it's not quite as hard as Iowa.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cant believe no one mentioned the beatles yet

[/ QUOTE ]
The Beatles never made a "drastic" change. They just became more experimental as time went on. Certainly not as drastic as some of the bands mentioned here (Dylan and Ministry in particular.)

Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 PM

Man, I can't believe no one has mentioned Weezer so far.

They went from unbelieve rock band with the Blue Album and Pinkerton (one of the best albums of the 90s) to bad pop music with Green Album, Maladroit, and Make Believe.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF wish i never seen that photo never knew pantera where ever [censored] rock.

And for biggest change Metallica, even though I listen to their first 3 albums constantly and still buy there records hopeing that they recreate the magic from the early eighties and im always left dissapointed heres for a good 2008 and hopefully Rubin [censored] pulls a rabbit out the hat and gets you guys working again...
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 PM

FWIW I just saw Bad Brains with the original lineup a few weeks ago and they played a great set.