Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Taking out a prosper loan to buy stocks

Link to my loan request.

I don't want to get in a huge debate here if I can get better returns on my stocks vs. the interest charged on the loan (i have dealt with enough of those questions at prosper). I have done my own analysis and decided that I am more than willing to take that risk. I understand I could potentially lose a good chunk of change here. But I won't lose everything, as I will buy atleast 5 differnt stocks with a market cap over 1 billion. They aren't going to all go bankrupt, and if that 1 in a billion chance hits, then so be it.

Here is the basis of the calculations I did to take on this loan request:

Assuming a $25k, 3 year loan at 12%, my total amount paid would be: $29,893.32.

Assuming the following average annual returns, I would end up with this much money:

6%: 29,917.01
10%: 33,704.14
15%: 39,098.60
20%: 45,328.80
25%: 52,518.68
30%: 60,813.38
35%: 70,376.25

I don't want to get too cocky, so I am capping myself at a maximum annual return of 35%, which I actually think is achievable based on my opinion of my stock-picking ability. That is up for debate, not doubt, but I am not going to get in a pissing war here about stock picking ability. My main question is this, if you only achieve average stock market returns (8 - 10%) (and I am only 28 so have time in my favor), is this loan worth taking?

I understand the stock market could crash in the next 3 years or the dollar could crash or whatever else, but what are your thoughts assuming a normal market? Thanks in advance!