Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Commerce $1500NL vs Cunningham

Commerce $1500NL, 3K starting chips.

I've just been moved to this table an orbit ago. I think I opened once in that time and took the blinds. Allen Cunningham has won two decent pots in that orbit and now has a big stack with around 12K. With blinds of 75-150, I also have a very healthy stack with 11K.

UTG opens for 350, he has maybe 3500 to start the hand. I'm next to act with QQ and make it 1200. Everyone folds to Allen in the CO. We've never played together. He looks over my stack, thinks for a second, and calls. Everyone folds except for UTG who also calls.

Flop is Q77r. 3800 in the pot.

UTG checks, I....

I generally hate slow playing, but what's the plan? Check? Bet? How much?

I should maybe also say, that from what I saw, Allen never really considered folding preflop.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Commerce $1500NL vs Cunningham

i bet 2k i think.

it's a bet that will look tempting for cunningham to push over.

if you check i dont think he'll bluff at it too often, cause UTG is going to call just that bet a lot.

however, if he bluff pushed over your bet, UTG would probably fold. so maybe his liklihood to bluff goes up if you bet?

Old 02-10-2006, 06:48 PM

I check. It looks normal not to make a continuation bet into two players after reraising with AK. I would slow play this pretty much all the way and hope someone makes something or makes a move for the pot.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:48 PM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Colson posts, IMO you don't get enough credit around here, your hands and trips reports are always engaging and insightful.

In this case I think I check. I might be tempted to bet, representing a cont bet, if UTG folded pf, but not in a 3 way pot.

Things being as they are I check, hoping that Cunningham will bet and UTG will push and then I can make what looks like an isolation push. If Cunningham bets and UTG folds, I probably call and look to CR on the turn as it sounds like Cunningham is pretty aggressive.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i bet 2k i think.

it's a bet that will look tempting for cunningham to push over.

if you check i dont think he'll bluff at it too often, cause UTG is going to call just that bet a lot.

however, if he bluff pushed over your bet, UTG would probably fold. so maybe his liklihood to bluff goes up if you bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't it fairly likely that Cunningham has a better hand than UG and knows it? My only problem with the slow play, is this board isn't exactly coordinated. What could you possibly have if you check call other than TT+, with JJ-TT more and more unlikely as the pot grows. Betting out would do a better job of hiding your hand. I really can't see you winning much more than 2-3K of ACs money without leading out, but you also don't win 0 all that often either. A bet by him if it is checked to him doesnt really have to be a bluff. I think KK is in his range here.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:56 PM

i think not betting here just looks too weird, and the times when allen has something like AA, you're not going to extract the most by going to checkraise. the rule is that you can't reraise over an all in smaller than your original raise, right? so i think i'd bet just under 1/2 of whatever utg has left at the flop, so around 1100 or 1200? this affords you the most options when action gets back to you as are possible i think. additionally it looks like a probing bet and balances well and all that nice stuff.

c
Old 02-10-2006, 07:07 PM

I make a normal continuation bet here. If Alan has AK he folds, oh well. I think that you need to hope that UTG has a hand that he decides to commit with to your "continuation bet." To that end I bet about 1500. It might tempt Alan into calling with JJ/TT, he certainly comes if he's being tricky with AA/KK, and it gives UTG a chance to hang himself. If you're checking here its with the goal of letting people catch up, but really what cards will let them catch up and not scare you in the process.

If Alan comes and UTG folds, my plan is now to play it like I have AK and check the turn. Alan probably checks behind though. That then creates a really interesting river spot...does Alan bet a high enough % of the time on the river as compared to paying off a river bet to try and cr here?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:12 PM

Having played with Allen before, I check in this spot, with my usual "I have AK acting"; the pot is big enough and Allen will not miss a chance to try to take it. Your hand is just too strong to bet with two players to act behind you that called a reraise preflop. Very, very hard for Allen to put you in AK or JJ if you do that.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:17 PM

I always wanted to try this but I'm not sure if it is better applied to a drawing board:

Count out a bet then change your mind and check.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:20 PM

Its funny, im taking my usual AK action too, only its betting.