Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 05:45 PM

Default WSOP hand with Andy Bloch

1st level of ME. I have about 10.5k and Andy has about 10k. This is probably the 12th hand. Andy has made a few raises to 125 at 25-50blind level. I figure he is just trying to build pots with small pairs, and suited connectors or suited Aces to win a bigger pot if he hits. He raises to 125 UTG and I call on button with TJoff. We take it HU. Pot is 325. He leads for 200 on a Tc Th 5c flop. I raise to 500, he calls after a slight hesitation. Turn is 5h and he checks, I bet 600 he raises quickly to 1600. I think for about 30seconds and call. River is Q, and he moves in quickly for all his chips. About 5k in the pot and he moves in for around 7.5k. How often am I chopping and how often am I beaten hear? For what its worth, the table seems very readable and passive besides Andy.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: WSOP hand with Andy Bloch

If he's got QQ for the higher boat or quads, I think I go broke here all day long, although I hear what you're saying.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:24 PM

well, you're basically calling 7500 to gain 2500 (half of the 5000 pot.

There is a possibility you're beaten by a higher full house / quads. And I would have thought a very slim chance he has the lower boat (I've never heard of Andy Bloch but then I'm a sheep shagging kiwi and I'll assume he's a good player). So all that tends to suggest a fold.

I think we can rule out Queens here because of the call of your raise on the flop and his checkraise on the turn (at least I wouldn't be checkraising with those tens there). Therefore the only hand he has that beats us is pocket 5s. Would he have led out on the flop with a full house? Mayybe but more likely he would have slow played it a little, hoping for you to have a ten or catch a little something on the turn.
Therefore even though you are committing 7500 to win a third of that I would call 100 times out of a 100.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:01 PM

really tough hand, played with him once and he is extremely aggressive. so really tough to put him on a hand here. my guess is maybe 10 9 trying to push you out of half the pot but not afraid of a call?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:01 PM

this is why you get it in on the turn if you play it like this
Old 08-04-2006, 07:13 PM

the more i play the more i realize i should slow play less. of course if your laggy to the extreme it helps because you might get called by the 5 on the turn and have the added benefit of not facing this bet on the river.

i still think its possible andy had only the 5 (that just how he plyaed) but the bet on the end makes it seem more like 10 9.

maybe you can go on full tilt poker and ask him what he had if you did not call.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:15 PM

C'mon, you can't reraise the turn, he plays perfectly there and by 'perfectly' I mean 'raising gives you $0 chips'.

You're not behind enough to fold the river in any case, but at least this way there's some slight chance he's bluffing.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:57 PM

Sounds like you're chopping about 100% of the time, and probably considering yourself lucky that the board paired.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:21 PM

yeah i misread the hand i did not realize you both would have full houses (with a 10 even before the river - i was thinking trips). so yeah there is no way in hell you can fold this.
anyways like adanthar says you should actually be happy he bet the river because its more likely a bluff than a set of queens (although this early its not very likely to be an overbet bluff)

How did it turn out?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 PM

He could have the QT, which would obviously be disastrous