Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Can an abc predictable preflop player beat 100-200?

What adjustment should be made to combat there blind stealing. I am one of those who in your opinion play weak by giving up on flop if i have no piece whatsoever. You are suggesting just making stone bluff moves on flop like checkraising air? It sounds like spewing to me but i'm listneing. Btw the way i look at it is i'm getting 3 half to 1 flop somthing agaisnt his random steal hand. If i don't i get out. I will checraise gutshot flops but AIR? To me i will get punished worse when i make moves with air.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:25 PM

How and why pete? If i'm getting it in with the best of it how wil i lose? they are the ones spewing in with the worst of it.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What i'm getting at is if i plays abc correct by the book solid preflop strategy and play solid(meaning not making mistakes but not that tricky) postflop i won't beat toguh games?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is, of course, yes (although everybody really has there own idea of what constitutes "ABC"). Some people seem to think making some "donkey" plays is integral in beating bigger games when that's absolutely not the case. Also, people seem to think that if you play somewhat predictably pre and posflop you'll get "eaten alive" in these bigger games. Well, if by predictably you mean incapable of adjustment sure. If by predictable you mean tighter ranges than most you're way off. Most people in this forum don't seem to think a player is capable of adjusting to an opponents adjustments.

Obviously, I have certain players in mind who play somewhat "predictably" and consistently and soundly beat some of the bigger games online but I know they wouldn't appreciate me discussing their style in this forum.

___1___
Old 02-22-2007, 01:27 AM

I know from my own experience that a basically ABC guy (with a dash of deception) can beat the ring 50-100 games at a fair rate.

100-200? I don't know. But I do know that one of the reasons I never moved up to 100-200 was because I considered myself to be too ABC for the game. So, my answer to your question without any first hand knowledge is "no".
Old 02-22-2007, 01:50 AM

I think the people who consistently won the most and did the best in the 2p2 games we used to do on Party were people playing significantly different than your traditional abc game.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:26 AM

I don't understand what abc poker means. Can a tight player (23-25 Vpip for 6 person tables) beat the larger games? Absolutely
Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm asking a theoretical question if someone plays solid abc will they win is all. Saying if you have to ask you can't is just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You havent defined what 'solid abc' is.

If you think what i said is silly, give it a shot. Im sure there'd be approximately 9 people at your table who would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:16 AM

if by "abc predictable preflop" you mean you constantly make the play with the highest immediate EV (no image plays) - which is "abc" to me - then yes, you can crush 100/200 if you play well otherwise.

if you mean you just play by some hand chart (play x hands from position y for z bets) without any real situational considerations, you're gonna have a tough time winning.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How and why pete? If i'm getting it in with the best of it how wil i lose? they are the ones spewing in with the worst of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"best of it" is quite rare situation in short game. More often you both will have vulnerable hands. So the winner will be the one who takes the most with worst of it.
And there is always optimal frequency spewing/taking pot uncontested, depending on your opponent. Against a fish you should never spew, against thinking TAG/LAG you MUST spew to be unpredictable or to force opponent to be tooo tight/passive/predictable.

Predictability lets your opponent to make easy folds and easy bluffs (like if you cap PF only with JJ+,AK - it's quite easy to release a hand postflop for your opponent). You should always try to keep you opponent uncertain and predictable so he will start to make mistakes you're waiting for (like calling down too much with thin value or never bluffing, raising only with best of it - it's quite common mistakes against smart LAGs ).
Old 02-22-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should always try to keep you opponent uncertain and predictable so he will start to make mistakes you're waiting for (like calling down too much with thin value or never bluffing, raising only with best of it - it's quite common mistakes against smart LAGs ).

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. In other words, to beat a high limit game you need to be able to play some poker, not just some cards.