Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Consistent Losing

First off let me say this is not one of those “my friend” posts that is actually about me LOL…

I got my roommate into sports betting after he watched me do pretty well on the NFL/NCAAF season. He’ll spend a good 2-3hrs a day researching games and stats and spreads about $100/day over various games. His only problem is he’s about 5/25 picking NBA/NCAAB thus far and is getting really discouraged.

I’ve given him the basic lectures about money management etc., NBA isn’t really my cup of tea but I’ll take a college game every now and then. I’ve told him to maybe tone it down a bit until MLB season starts up and then I can help him a little more.

In the mean time, what I can tell this kid to aid his handicapping game?

Thanks 2+2ers
Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Consistent Losing

Get his picks and bet $500 on the opposite side. When he goes busto, laugh at him and say: "Atleast I'm paid" and buy him a lap dance.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:01 PM

hahah I did tell him to just pick the opposite of whatever team he decided on, and he looked like he was gonna cry lmao
Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 PM

Of course nobody could ever be that bad, so that's the first bit of good news.
If it continues, suggest that maybe he's researching the exact stats that BSPs naturally look at and to look for a different set of stats to base his picks on

Lori
Old 02-07-2007, 12:22 AM

Yes, 5-of-25 flipped around the other way is winning 20 out of 25 games, damn awesome.

Just encourage him to continue picking the way he's been doing, but you tell him you will actually place the bets. Then just change them to the other side = PROFIT.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First off let me say this is not one of those “my friend” posts that is actually about me LOL…

I got my roommate into sports betting after he watched me do pretty well on the NFL/NCAAF season. He’ll spend a good 2-3hrs a day researching games and stats and spreads about $100/day over various games. His only problem is he’s about 5/25 picking NBA/NCAAB thus far and is getting really discouraged.

I’ve given him the basic lectures about money management etc., NBA isn’t really my cup of tea but I’ll take a college game every now and then. I’ve told him to maybe tone it down a bit until MLB season starts up and then I can help him a little more.

In the mean time, what I can tell this kid to aid his handicapping game?

Thanks 2+2ers

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why its gambling. Have you ever considered maybe he should just quit? Or make $5 bets till he proves he's a winner?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:07 PM

A monkey throwing darts could pick 50% winners. He's been running very badly to hit only 20% of his picks. Regression to the mean says he should win 40 of his next 75 bets. He needs to increase his bet size to plan for this upcoming winning streak.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A monkey throwing darts could pick 50% winners. He's been running very badly to hit only 20% of his picks. Regression to the mean says he should win 40 of his next 75 bets. He needs to increase his bet size to plan for this upcoming winning streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your sarcasm will be lost on the OP. and if you are serious...
Old 02-07-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was joking. OP, ignore me.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was joking. OP, ignore me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, move up where they respect your bets.