Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 PM

Default dumb preflop question; what do we open in EP?

Currently at 9/10 handed tables I am opening 22+, AQ+ UTG and only getting slightly looser until I get around to he point where I can go 'oh right, this is like 6-max now'. How tight/loose are you guys in early position?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: dumb preflop question; what do we open in EP?

I am a unfamiliar w/ current conditions of full ring, but I will reply w/ my standards from Party Poker Era.

AK, AA, KK, QQ

AQ - I prefer limping w/ the intention of possibly re-raising if a player known for aggressively playing position opens the pot.

Suited connectors (i.e. 67, 78, 89, 9T, 68, 79) - I prefer playing this group as they don't require a straight in which requires an ace and is unlikely to be dominated unless up against a big pair.

I used to also raise any pair, but I don't feel it is not as profitable any more, as you are much more likely to encounter a re-raise out of position.

Medium pairs (TT, 99, 88, 77) - As long as I am not in game in which I may be re-raised I will raise w/ this group and the small pairs below. However, I like limping with them and may take the option of re-raising w/ them as well.

I also limp w/ the first group as well w/ full intention of re-raising. The games are tougher than they used to. It is better to keep players on their toes rather than play too straight-forward yourself, even in full ring games.

BraveJayhawk
Old 07-31-2007, 08:53 PM

Thats fine dude, you cut accually drop 22-88 if you want too, and also add AT suited+. but yours is fine.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 PM

I was going to be like use the search feature, but for you I'll try a response. I'm assuming that you're playing MSNL and I'm going to try to provide a range based on how often these players 3bet. At lower levels you can open wider profitably because you are less likely to get 3bet and are more likely able to outplay the opposition. I'm considered very laggy for these forums so take it with a grain of salt (I run about 22/12 at FR; 26/19 in my limited time at 6max whixh I typically only play when bored).

My standard UTG range for open raising (I'm in the camp that doesn't mind open-limping and I assume you'll play pretty laggy coming from 6max) is something like 66-88+ (depending on the game) AQ+, AJs, and KQ. I will limp KK and AA in aggro games on occassion to balance the fact that I'll often be limping 22-77. I will open 56s-J10s probably about 1/3 of the time for deception.

By MP1 I open up to opening everything listed above as well as 22-77. I also open A8s+ and A10o+ as well as KJ.

By MP3 you can pretty much play it like 6max, but you should know that others don't adapt their calling ranges and 3betting ranges the way they do in 6max so if you do get 3bet from the blinds after opening the btn its a lot more likely to be a huge hand than 78s or AQ.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 PM

I think I'm tight in EP and raise 99+/AQo+/AQs+/KQs.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 PM

You almost never want to play from OOP after the flop if you can help it at all. Your pre-flop strategy should focus on never being OOP after the flop with out a monster hand. You almost never want to be OOP with a draw (I say "almost" because there MIGHT be an exception, but I honestly can't think of one).

These are my normal starting hand requiorments for FR NL cash games:

EP - Fold all SCs & suited aces. Limp any pair TT & below, but only if the table is mostly passive. If you expect a raise from MP, LP or Button, then fold small pairs preflop. If you limp and get a raise from those positions, then fold your pair. If the raise comes from the blinds you can call because you'll have position after the flop, but remember the Rule of 5 & 10, and effective stacks must be at least 80bb. Be prepaired to fold when you don't hit your set. Raise only with premium pairs JJ and up, and AK. Maybe AQ if the table is passive.

MP - Raise all pairs 99 & up, AK & AQ. Limp with smaller pairs, SCs 65 and up & suited aces, but be prepaired to fold to a raise from LP or the button. Call raises with these hands from the blinds but remember what I said about the Rule of 5 & 10 and effective stack sizes.

LP - If it is limped to you, raise with any pair, any SC 65 & up, any suited ace. If it is folded to you, then raise with those cards plus any suited king, any suited one-away 75 & up, any ace-face, any suited face cards.

SB - Play the small blind as if it were UTG. Fold liberally, because it just sucks SO much to be OOP after the flop. If has been folded all the way around to you and the button folded as well, then raise with any pocket you might raise from the button, as well as any pocket with at least one jack or higher.

Also any time you are playing a cash game, you have AA or KK preflop and you have a chance to call a raise, don't. Re-raise at least the pot or a little more. If you are re-raised all-in, call. Don't look at your kings and start to second guess yourself. Get your money in the middle.

And another thing - In a FR game LP is later than you think. In a 9-handed game, I only consider the button and the CO to be LP. The hi-jack and one seat to his right is MP. Every other seat is EP.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 PM

I've been adding some suited aces to my EP range. At loose tables where donks love to play any two suited, having flush over flush once in a while is nice.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been adding some suited aces to my EP range. At loose tables where donks love to play any two suited, having flush over flush once in a while is nice.

[/ QUOTE ]Do you open limp these? I've been limping suited aces as a standard but fold if there's over aggressive people behind me.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Do you open limp these? I've been limping suited aces as a standard but fold if there's over aggressive people behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on the table. Sometimes I raise, sometimes I limp.

I never ever open-limp anything from MP and later though.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:28 PM

What do you do with AQo/AJo?