Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 08:02 PM

Default doing bad at ucsd

I go to UCSD and am finishing my second year. I am doing really bad. I finished high school with above a 4.0(but an 1150 SAT), and now I have a 2.1 GPA. I go to class always, but even the kids who don't study or go to class do much better than me. I have all my GE's done and am trying to major in econ, but I am really bad at math and the econ department here is competitive so I might reconsider as I don't think I will be able to cut it. My only real option other than econ is majoring in history, but what kind of job can a history major get, is it even worth it?

High school was really easy and college is really hard. I cheated a lot in highschool, and I just can't seem to pull it off in college anymore as they really watch. At this point I feel like I am going to a college that is just out of my league, but then again I still feel like I am atleast as intelligent as most of my peers. I should have probably gone to SDSU I guess, but its too late to transfer now with my low GPA. I don't do any extra stuff and I have lots of free time, I just don't get it.

Anyone have any advice for me(besides ysscky)?

Edit: After reading this a couple of times it looks kind of like a troll post, but I promise its not. This is where I am at right now, pretty sad.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Re: doing bad at ucsd

My advice is to just drop out and play poker.
On a serious level, I was like this but turned things around. It looks like the transition from high school to university has overwhelmed you. I know it sounds cliche but you just have to dedicate more time to it. You said you have a lot of free time, open up a book, get a tutor, etc. etc. I think that spending more time at school and meeting a lot of people will encourage and help you to do well in classes.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:43 AM

It's all about work.

I think 1070 was the highest score I received on the SATs. Granted, I didn't put any effort into them but I am by no means a genius. I was terrible at math in high school and I thought that I just wasn't good at it...the amount of work that I did didn't seem to have an effect.

When I began college, though, I realized that if I wanted to do good I would just have to work harder. Long story short, I ended up graduating summa cum laude at a pretty decent school with a major in economics like you. Degenerasian got it right. Even though it may seem like it to you, you aren't putting enough effort into your grades. If you're remotely competetent you should be able to get at least a 3.0 with some effort. If you need to study three more hours a day than others, then so be it.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:46 AM

A lot of history majors go to law school.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:41 AM

I dont think the math requirements for econ majors here are that difficult. And the vast majority of people who dont study and get good grades actually do or have easy majors. Get someone to study with you?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:15 AM

Sounds tough.

Don't resort to cheating.

Like mrTEA said, I thought the math requirements for econ were pretty minor (just like Math 20A-20C and then I guess econometrics).

I would echo the above sentiment to try working harder. I know it's tough, but I know other people like you who have been able to turn things around. Try to really understand the material throughout the class; definitely don't just cram right before tests. It's great that you go to class.

A degree in history is better than no degree at all. If you like history, and econ is giving you trouble, I say switch to history. If you're not great at math, then history may be more your cup of tea. Econ (from what I know) doesn't have a whole ton of math, but it does involve a lot of mathematical thinking.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:18 PM

definitely don't go to a lesser school, stick it out at UCSD even if it means straight Cs. transferring would look terrible to whomever will be looking at your transcripts in the future.

as far as improving the grades, change things up because although it sounds like you're putting in effort, you seem to be just spinning your wheels. going to class 100% has zero value if everything goes over your head. try office hours or a tutor.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:48 PM

here's advice - go to office hours. i seriously can't stress this enough. If you go to all the office hours of your professors + TAs, you're GUARANTEED an A. This is probably like 20000% overboard, but it'll work, hands down.
And if you need someone to study with next year, hit me up. I'm down to study a couple hours a day. If I'm done with my [censored], I'll just bring my laptop and 6 table while you study [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
High school was really easy and college is really hard. I cheated a lot in highschool, and I just can't seem to pull it off in college anymore as they really watch

[/ QUOTE ]

are you really this ignorant?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:08 AM

im at ucsd too. going to be a 2nd year. i did really well in high school but im doing kinda poorly too at ucsd (i have a 2.96). but really, i realize my mistakes and its just that you gotta keep up with all the work. if you can do that, you will get an A. i know there is no assigned daily hw but if you force yourself to do your own "hw" everyday like in high school, you will succeed.