Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Default AQo - Big pot

Players at the table were a little bit loose. I think that my play was pretty standard, but perhaps some of you could be kind enough to have a quick look and see if you agree.

Party 0.25/0.50 (10 handed)

Hero raises UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+3 calls, Bttn 3-bets, Hero calls, UTG+3 calls.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (10.5 sb, 3 players)

Hero checks, UTG+3 checks, Bttn bets, Hero raises, UTG+3 calls, Bttn 3-bets, Hero calls, UTG+3 calls.

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.5 bb, 3 players)

Hero checks, UTG+3 checks, Bttn bets, Hero calls, UTG+3 calls.

River 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (12.5 bb, 3 players)

Hero checks, UTG+3 checks, Bttn bets, Hero calls, UTG+3 calls.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: AQo - Big pot

I play it the same
Old 05-13-2007, 04:46 PM

He sure doesn't seem to care about top pair, and what is up with UTG+3 just coming along? Standard. Make a note if this isn't QQ, KK, AA.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:00 PM

Why are you checking throughout this? Is this a check raise? Can you read other people calling you as a sign of strenght, or can you sum it up to the looseness of the table?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you checking throughout this? Is this a check raise? Can you read other people calling you as a sign of strenght, or can you sum it up to the looseness of the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

I check raised the preflop 3-better on the flop when I made TPTK, and he effectively said that he did not care by re-raising.

I check called on the turn in case my hand was best, but also because I had outs to 2 pair or trips if was behind.

I check called on the river in case my hand was best because the pot was big.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-13-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check called on the turn in case my hand was best, but also because I had outs to 2 pair or trips if was behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for me, as practice, let me try to calcuate some type of odds here. There are 3 aces or two queens possible, so a total possible of 5 outs. Now, with the button and UTG playing this far through to the river, is it safe to assume that at least one of them is holding Ax or Qx? If so, then I put your outs to 4 or 4.5. This means you have about a 10% chance to improve?

At the turn you are calling just one big bet to a pot of 9.5bb, for a 9.5 to 1 pay out if you hit an ace or queen. This alone would make this a bad call.

But, I think there is still a great chance that you have the best hand, looking at the board and the looseness of the table, so I agree with your play.

Did I analyze this correctly?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just for me, as practice, let me try to calcuate some type of odds here. There are 3 aces or two queens possible, so a total possible of 5 outs. Now, with the button and UTG playing this far through to the river, is it safe to assume that at least one of them is holding Ax or Qx? If so, then I put your outs to 4 or 4.5. This means you have about a 10% chance to improve?

At the turn you are calling just one big bet to a pot of 9.5bb, for a 9.5 to 1 pay out if you hit an ace or queen. This alone would make this a bad call.

But, I think there is still a great chance that you have the best hand, looking at the board and the looseness of the table, so I agree with your play.

Did I analyze this correctly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Button 3-bet preflop and on the flop, so I considered that there was a good chance that he had AA or KK.

Now, if UTG+3 had something like A9 or Qx, you are right that I would not have had the correct odds to improve to beat Button's AA or KK.

However, I could not tell if my outs were tainted. Afterall UTG+3 might have been calling with something like JT, in which case I would have had a full 5 outs to improve.

Nonetheless, even if you had slightly discounted my outs, I would probably have had a good chance of making up for that by collecting an extra bet or so on the turn or river if my hand had improved.

Possibly the most important point though, is as you suggested, that my hand might have been best.

So, with all the possibilities considered, I think that yes, you have correctly analysed why I called my hand down. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 10:34 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your re-analyzation of my analyzation of what you had already correctly analysed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] As a new player, I know it is important to not play with a result orientation. However, when I make a play that I believe is +ev and then it turns out as a loss, it is hard for me to tell myself that I still made the correct play. You reassuring me here that I did know how to look at this correctly is quite helpfull

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]