Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 01:18 PM

Default AQ in SB - Makes TPGK - Faces flop All In

I played this hand yesterday in a MTT, and would welcome thoughts on preflop and flop play.

This tourney started with over 1,200 players and changing tables did not allow for good reads.

I think that the average chip stack for the tourney was about t7,000 or so at the time of this hand.

Blinds were t200/t400 and antes of t20, and table was 9 handed.

Chip stacks were: UTG - t4,565, UTG+1 - t6,465, UTG+2 - t2,685, MP1 - t3,595, MP2 - t6,835, CO - t5,470, Bttn - t9,475, SB (Hero) - t8,895, BB - t10,030.

Dealt to Hero A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG+1 (t6,445) calls t400
Bttn (t9,455) calls t400
SB (Hero) (t8,875) calls t200

Flop (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) (t1,780)

Hero (t8,675) bets t1,500
UTG+1 (t6,045) raises to t4,000
Bttn (t9,055) pushes all in to t9,055

Pot has now become t16,335 and Hero has t7,175 left.

1.) I am interested to know whether people like the preflop call from the SB, or whether they would prefer a raise .

2.) I am also interested to know whether people think that calling the flop all in with TPGK is automatic or not.

All comments appreciated. I would consider that I am more experienced in limit play than NL, but am trying to improve my NL game. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: AQ in SB - Makes TPGK - Faces flop All In

1) I don't mind a raise. There's ~2k on the table after you call, I'd put in a good size raise here, bttn will go away for sure, it's all a matter of what your read on UTG+1 is, do you think he limped crap or a monster based on his play so far?

2) definetly fold. I have to give bttn credit for A9/A3 or a set here, but this play looks more like 2 pair. It also looks suspicously like UTG might have limped with AK...? I really can't figure out what else he's have here, AA seems possible but unlikely.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:30 PM

1st of all, I don't like limping with AQ unless you have some knowledge of your opponents. What did UTG limp with? Why did he raise to 2/3 of his stack (2050 left behind - he's def calling Button's push, right?) So, in this situation I raise to at least 1,600 pf to better understand what I'm up against OOP.

That action will almost certainly make for a different round of betting on the flop.

As played, I'm prolly folding to that flop action. What are you beating? Does AJ, AT raise/re-raise here? You didn't get enough info pf to establish a credible hand range. Without a range or a read, I usually believe big raises = big hands & since there are absolutely no draws on this board, I'm beat here. Fold.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:36 PM

#1 - I don't think it's that horrible to complete AQo from SB sometimes. But your stack is certainly deep enough to repop and fire at flop. Stylistic preference, extreme OOP, sometimes a complete and treating it as a high one-gapper with the A making you TP a lot here...

If you repop, one of them might've shoved here, you're facing a coinflip, possibly 3:1 against AK.

Two limpers. If you were going to fire at the flop that hard with the intent of getting weaker A's or non-A hands to pay you off, bet it instead, valuebet, 1.2k, 2/3ish of pot.

#2 - Limit player, huh? Think about it this way, you bet that flop, there's a raise and 3-bet. Do you still like TPGK then facing 2 bets to you, and the possibility of bigger bets on turn and riv? If not, you've got your answer there.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 - Limit player, huh? Think about it this way, you bet that flop, there's a raise and 3-bet. Do you still like TPGK then facing 2 bets to you, and the possibility of bigger bets on turn and riv? If not, you've got your answer there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats putting it in a language that I understand. lol. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2 - Limit player, huh? Think about it this way, you bet that flop, there's a raise and 3-bet. Do you still like TPGK then facing 2 bets to you, and the possibility of bigger bets on turn and riv? If not, you've got your answer there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats putting it in a language that I understand. lol. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<chuckles> Yeah, figured. Cheers.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:57 PM

i'd fold with the action as it happened, but i would throw in a very large raise preflop