Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 01:19 AM

Default OESD vs a 3betting maniac.

Villain is 51/31/2.2

I was planning to take a free card on the turn and then I didn't and of course I get hit in the face by the 'ol check/raise.
PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 09-30-2007, 01:24 AM

Default Re: OESD vs a 3betting maniac.

I cap preflop.

Postflop looks ok if you think he folds Ax
Old 09-30-2007, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I cap preflop.

Postflop looks ok if you think he folds Ax

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, I'm fairly new to the game. Why do you want to cap preflop? Is it because the guy has a wide 3-betting range and you figure to be best, or is to get the initiative, or both?

My thinking agaist LAGs is more or less playing passively unsless I have something I "know" beat them or if I have a strong draw, otherwise I'm always trying to get to SD cheap when having SD value, against a Villain that is 51/31/2.2 maybe not with KT.

I like the postflop play, can we call the river? Is there a big enough chance that Villian hit a flush draw on turn that missed (and doesn't include an Ace)? I guess not. If we had taken the free card, would we then have called a bet on river, the pot is of course small but the likelyhood that villain bluffs is far greater. I seem to call down sometimes to get info, in this hand I'd like to get a range on his 3-betting for example. Is this a to expensive way of getting it?

Last thing, why is he labelled "3-betting maniac"? I agree that 51/31/2.2 is laggy preflop but I wouldn't say maniac.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:44 AM

a maniac doesnt fold any hands that you want him to on the turn.

your bet is definitely not for value.

so what IS it for?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:36 AM

I said cap preflop because the title indicated he 3-bets a lot in which case hero has ok eq and a capp will increase his FE postflop - even against this guy.

Also if you dont start cappping liberally vs people who 3-bet you liberally - in particular when hero has position - you are making it to cheap for villain to try and run you over.

I agree with abab btw. Unless he folds Ax postflop is no good.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:21 AM

this is fine
Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 AM

Maybe is the better option to call the flop and then raise the turn else for the free showdown or for immediately win! I he 3-bet on the turn you have odds to call!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 AM

Preflop, I don't like capping. Your KTo has around 47% equity and LAG's don't often fold after the flop. So you have no equity and initiative is pretty much useless. I just call here.

Postflop, against such an aggressive player, I just play this passively. He probably won't fold a better hand here. I just call down to see if I can hit something. I raise if I spike a 9, K or an A. Still call down if I spike a T. The river can become tricky though if you don't improve.

I don't like a free showdown raise against such aggressive opponents since he can easily 3-bet the turn or, more likely, donk the river with a worse hand.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 AM

I'm just calling on the flop and turn here. I'm also playing any pair that way against this guy. Don't give action to LAGs with mediocre hands. You beat LAGs like this by inducing them, even with your strong hands. You also play your marginal hands, like this one, this way so they never know where they are either.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just calling on the flop and turn here. I'm also playing any pair that way against this guy. Don't give action to LAGs with mediocre hands. You beat LAGs like this by inducing them, even with your strong hands. You also play your marginal hands, like this one, this way so they never know where they are either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm slowly realizing that when you're playing over-aggro players, you basically need to turn into a loose/passive calling-station unless you have the nuts.