Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Deadlift question (prop bet help needed)

I'd look into Westside training methods for this and just give him he money up front.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:34 PM

"As of I am on more of a HIT/bodybuilding routine, and pretty much stay away from deadlifts, and squats, but I have done them before."

Is it because you never do them that you think you can do 3x bodyweight in 3 months? You really have 0 chance at this.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 PM

It might be possible if you can diet down and focus on strength training at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
As of I am on more of a HIT/bodybuilding routine, and pretty much stay away from deadlifts, and squats, but I have done them before.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It might be possible if you can diet down and focus on strength training at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
As of I am on more of a HIT/bodybuilding routine, and pretty much stay away from deadlifts, and squats, but I have done them before.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way he's going to be gaining much when dieting down. Even if he were to juice, he'd gain enough mass that he'd need more then 500lbs.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:52 PM

go to elitefts.com and try to find an article with a program on increasing your dl...and if you already made the bet then ask your buddy if you can buy out, cuz there is no way you can do it in the time period...
Old 11-16-2007, 04:05 PM

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/5116405-post819.html
Coan/Phillipi Deadlift Routine

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/4783202-post388.html
+Deadlift without Deadlifting

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/4610310-post107.html
Smolov Squat Cycle
(not a Deadlift cycle but I'm sure the Russians have something insane like this for DL)
Old 11-16-2007, 05:24 PM

As is this is probably a bad bet.

Even though you can make huge gains on your dead (precisely because you haven't trained it specifically) if you train right, 3 months is really tight.

That said, here's my 2cents.

1st, plan on cutting weight. If you're like most american males you can probably cut at least 10 lbs and still get stronger. I'd shoot for a bodyweight of 150 - 155 and a plan on pulling 450 - 465 on test day. Olympic weightlifters in the 150 lb range can full far more than 500lbs in the dead. Thin, wiry, freaky strong, w/ legs like car jacks is the goal.

-Train 5-6 days a week.
-Train very heavy using a low rep (3-5 reps per set), low set training plan (2-3 per day).
-Cycle your loads and never train to failure.

Avoiding failure and keeping your reps and sets low will eliminate the need for long multiday rest periods. You'll need to pack as much training into 3 months as possible while still staying fresh every day.

Eliminate "beach work" while on this program (benching, curls etc).

I would train only 2 exercises while on the program. Deads and Overhead presses

Here is a plan. Assuming 315 lb 1 rep max.

315 * 85% = 265

Week 1 (Lbs X Reps X Sets)
Day1) 265 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day2) 275 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day3) 285 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day4) 295 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day5) 305 X 3-5 X 2-3
Week 2 (Lbs X Reps X Sets)
Day1) 275 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day2) 285 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day3) 295 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day4) 305 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day5) 315 X 3-5 X 2-3
Week 3 (Lbs X Reps X Sets)
Day1) 285 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day2) 295 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day3) 305 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day4) 315 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day5) 325 X 3-5 X 2-3
Week 4 (Lbs X Reps X Sets)
Day1) 295 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day2) 305 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day3) 315 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day4) 325 X 3-5 X 2-3
Day5) 335 X 3-5 X 2-3

Note: This workout has you adding approx 10 lbs per week. In 12 weeks it will have you pulling 425 for 3-5 reps (assuming you can keep up), that should be good for a 465 lb 1 rep max.

Follow a similar program for your standing (not sitting) military presses using the same % starting point of 1RM except you'll probably want to add 5lbs or less per workout.

Eat lots of protein and all but eliminate carbs / sugars from your diet. For weight loss - rowing ergometer - tabata squats (in moderation) -running - swimming - nordic track - etc, will fill the bill.

Buy this book -
http://www.amazon.com/Power-People-Stren...7578&sr=8-3

To learn about body mechanics techniques that will make you stronger - faster; Pressure breathing, muscle tension techniques, etc.

Good luck

BM
Old 11-16-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"As of I am on more of a HIT/bodybuilding routine, and pretty much stay away from deadlifts, and squats, but I have done them before."

Is it because you never do them that you think you can do 3x bodyweight in 3 months? You really have 0 chance at this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you miss the part where I said I have done them before?
Also just because I mainly do bodybuilding type workouts now does not mean I have no strength training experience. I think this is a lock for me if he lets me use a trap bar. If he gives me a % down (2.5 x bw etc) for doing the bet early I think it's very possible. I can also drop 15 lbs like it's noones business.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 PM

lol at trap bar deadlifts.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 PM

Gordon,

The fact that you can pull 6 wheels off the deck while being relatively untrained in the dead is actually a good thing. If you had previously focused on the dead for some period of time and were maxing at 315 that would probably mean you were closer to a strength plateau than you actually are in your current HIT trained state.

This is a good thing. Rootabaga is just being a naysayer.

To have a shot at this (however slim) you've got to abandon the HIT mentality. It will take discipline to stop yourself at the end of each workout when you still feel fresh, especially when you are used to smoking yourself at each workout (I know, Iv'e done HIT).

With the workout I described you are mostly training your neuro muscular efficiency. With such a program you can gain alot of strength while still dropping wait. Lift heavy, lift often, rest alot between sets (2-5minutes), get lots of sleep, and don't smoke yourself on the cardio.

The main thing you have going for you, in my opinion, is that of all the lifts, the dead is probably the easiest to produce dramatic strength gains with in relatively untrained subjects (ie individuals who have never specifically strength trained the dead for any time).

Here is an interesting story of a 14 year old kid who set a world record in the dead (for his age) by following the basic workout I outlined in my above post.

http://www.tacticalathlete.com/strengthbasearticle.htm

BM