Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Keep The Swastika-Save Some Lives

[ QUOTE ]
The other thing is, I'm sure there will be more than just aesthetic use for that 600k. I hope they are adding more offices or whatever with that money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats all fine, but the swastika should have roughly zero impact on their decision, IMO. Any money spent due to the swastika that wouldn't otherwise, thats what DS is talking about.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:26 PM

As Jews, we are caught between a rock and a hard place. Either we remind everyone how offended we are by an accidental representation of a 60-year-old symbol, or we condone the swastika because we're too stingy to spend a mere $600K (a drop in the bucket for the US Gov) to fix it.

The only thing that seems kind of strange is that you'd think somebody like the architect or government inspector would have noticed this during construction, even if it only occurred due to add-ons.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats all fine, but the swastika should have roughly zero impact on their decision, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The swastika will have real/tangible consequences.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't that money be better spent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it back to taxpayers obviously.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't that money be better spent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it back to taxpayers obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. It is ridiculous that we are taxed to pay for this stupid [censored].
Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thats all fine, but the swastika should have roughly zero impact on their decision, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Such as getting people riled up? I mean, I suppose we are at the point where we have to conclude that any time anyone uses money for any sort of political end, it is a "waste" in that the money could be used to solve some practical problem, but I can't see how spending 600k to get some reactionary people to chill out is the best use of tax money.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:52 PM

Just to clarify: I never said it is worth the 600k. I just think there are a large number of possible reasons that could theoretically make it well worth the 600k.

As I said above, if everyone were rational, it would not be worth the 600k.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Such as getting people riled up? I mean, I suppose we are at the point where we have to conclude that any time anyone uses money for any sort of political end, it is a "waste" in that the money could be used to solve some practical problem, but I can't see how spending 600k to get some reactionary people to chill out is the best use of tax money.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if those reactionary people start riots or even peaceful protests that cost $1.5 million in damages or extra police presence that could have been spent preventing other crimes? Personally I couldn't care less that it happens to look like a swastika from 20K feet, but $600K might end up being a small price to pay for keeping the peace.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if those reactionary people start riots or even peaceful protests that cost $1.5 million in damages or extra police presence that could have been spent preventing other crimes? Personally I couldn't care less that it happens to look like a swastika from 20K feet, but $600K might end up being a small price to pay for keeping the peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure but they aren't and haven't. Again, this isn't some new revelation.