Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Default 8/16 Live Pair of 4s

Villain is TAGish, but plays very passively when raised. Earlier had I had AK which 3-bet him Preflop.
He flopped AQ for top 2 pair and C/C till showdown when I raised the flop. After that hand he said he took note of my "crazy aggressiveness".

Villain is UTG.

Hero is dealt 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG <font color="red"> </font> Raises, Hero Calls, 1 fold, 2 Callers, SB folds, BB Calls.
(Normally fold but saw 2 players pickup chips behind showing a coldcall)

5 to flop
Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG <font color="red"> </font> Bets, Hero <font color="red"> </font> Raises, 1 fold, 2 Calls, UTG Calls.
Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG <font color="red"> </font> Bets, Hero <font color="red"> </font> Raises, 2 Folds, UTG Calls.
River Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG <font color="red"> </font> Bets, Hero ???

Hows my overall line? Raise or Call here?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: 8/16 Live Pair of 4s

I think you need to raise the river here. He may remember the last hand and decided to play top two hard against you.

Also if he had AA or JJ why did he not three town the turn.

So I raise, and if he three bets I puke, call and expect to see AA or maybe 10dKd. but I dont think that a passive post flop villian will play 10dKd this way.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Raise the river, and I think you have to call a 3 bet incase villian is steaming. He sounds like the type that really hates being raised.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:27 PM

raise river call a 3bet
Old 04-20-2007, 06:47 AM

Live players tend to be a lot more passive, and aggression like this will sometimes even get me on the weak tight side.

I put him on AQ or AJ but I still couldn't bring myself to raise this river. Thanks for input, turns out he actually did have AQ.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise river call a 3bet

[/ QUOTE ]

live players are more passive. they are also notorious for these random donkbets. it's like they don't know what else to do so they just "bet and see what happens".

when he donks the river, he likely improved his hand. improved it how, though? would he really play QQ or KT like this up to that point? i don't think so. you see two pair far more often than any other combos. raise.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 AM

Raise again.

Here is one of the reasons that you don't like to coldcall with this kind of hand, even if you are going to get the odds, because of overcalls. You flopped good, but you couldn't trap the rest of the players for a lot of bets, because of your relative position. When you make a raise here, you make it so that everyone has to face two bets, and they all end up folding instead of paying you off. If you had the button, and coldcalled with the other callers in between, you could have potentially won a much larger pot.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:09 AM

Four-bet the river if you can. AA is out of the question as he would have three-bet the turn. QQ is unlikely since he's leading out with that A on board. Villain almost certainly has AQ.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Four-bet the river if you can. AA is out of the question as he would have three-bet the turn. QQ is unlikely since he's leading out with that A on board. Villain almost certainly has AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the read(even with image), this is clearly not a good play. Villain will not bet/3town-ing based upon OP's description even if he has noted that hero is "crazy aggressive."