Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Professional No Limit, My thoughts.

I ordered Professional No lImit when it first came out and read it promptly. I had problems with the book. However, I chose to withhold my comments to see what others thought. I have been surprised at the comments. While I think it may be the best NL book out to date, I don't think it is a very good book. Nor is it a book that will teach a player how to become a much better No Limit player.

The book does stress position, which is incredibly important in NL. It also stresses controlling the size of the pot. This is also very important. However, controlling the pot size is one of MANY important things that must be taken into account when playing a No Limit hand. The authors chose to make this single concept the focus of a huge amount of the book, instead of one of the many concepts that must be taken into account in nl play. This is a major error.

Additionally, I found the "SPR" very artificial, and not really a way to teach how to play no limit.

The key to controlling pot size is the bet that is made post flop or on the turn (or the decision not to bet). Players should think of somewhere between the 2ed and 3ed bet that they make (without a huge hand) as the key point.

I has problems with other parts of the book. One large mistake the authors make is to suggest that when you have a huge hand, to bet whatever you think your opponent will call. When you have a huge hand in NL you want to either make a very large bet, or get all of your money in in pieces. By betting big your opponent will often fold. However, the times your opponent plays will make you SIGNIFICANTLY more money then betting what you expect him to call. A large part of NL's profit comes from the times that you are able to win huge pots. By betting what you expect him to call, over time you are losing a lot of money (that you would otherwise win). Of course, this is opponent and situationally dependent, however, it is very important and something the authors completely missed.

I could go on. However, I will let others comment first.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Professional No Limit, My thoughts.

[ QUOTE ]
I could go on. However, I will let others comment first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Others have been commenting in the thread that was created for this subject about a month ago (and is still on the first page of this forum).
Old 10-17-2007, 01:30 PM

that thread is too long and meanders all over. i chose to begin with my thoughts and see what comments my thought receive.

do you have any comments on my thoughts on the book?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, I found the "SPR" very artificial, and not really a way to teach how to play no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous. It's like saying pot size is artificial, or probabilities are artificial.

I'm afraid you've missed the point.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 PM

the idea of stack to pot ratio is very important.

the presentation in the book is artifical.

and it takes up a huge chunk of the book when it should be a chapter in a good nl book.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you have any comments on my thoughts on the book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I posted them in the thread that was designated for reviews of the book.

If everybody started a new thread to post their own reviews this place would be cluttered.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:45 PM

as i said that thread meanders, in unfocused, and to long.

you posted your comments, but not to my thoughts.

whom ever starts a new thread, it is necessary.

are you intrested in become a moderator or a policeman someday :-)?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
Old 10-17-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the idea of stack to pot ratio is very important.

the presentation in the book is artifical.

and it takes up a huge chunk of the book when it should be a chapter in a good nl book.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the name of this good NL book you are referring to? Oh wait, it doesn't exist. In fact, you started your OP by saying PNL was the best current NL hold'em book. And that makes the whole rest of your post kind of retarded.

Very much un-like limit hold'em, there is a dearth of NL hold'em cash game literature. Anything you can get that is decent should be considered precious.

You're like someone lost in a desert who finds a bottle of water and is pissed off because it isn't Evian. I guess you're just going to have to make due with Aqua Fina.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL

[/ QUOTE ]