Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 01-25-2007, 12:28 AM

Default AKo, Late in Tournament, vs TAA, Fold Pre/Push? Is flop call Easy?

I am converting to MTT and SnG's. Played limit for 5 years. Very strong limit player. I am converting to MTTs and SnGs, burnt out on limit. So this information is very important to me. Just a little background on me and my knowledge so you guys can help me out some.

This was late in MTT. (300/600) with antes.

Action:

Preflop: TAA-Guy UTG1 <font color="red">Raises</font> 3.5xBB

His Stack was around same as Mine. 15,000 or so.

He is TAA and plays pretty well. So you can put him on premium hands. AKs/o, AQs/o, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT

- <font color="blue"> Folded </font> around to me on the button.

-I <font color="red"> Call </font> , with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Is this correct preflop knowing I have position? Do I push in here? Or fold?

-FLOP: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

-He <font color="red"> Bets </font> 6k

Pot is around 5800, from blinds + antes. Now pot is 11,800

I have around 12-13K stack.

My question is, I am around 53%-46% vs Ax,Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. But I am Tie-36% vs Ax,K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

What is my correct action? Do I call his bet, see a non- [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turn and Push? Do I reraise all in? I know he doesn't have 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s because of the hands that I logically put him on. Unless he just did a random play UTG.

99 is out of the question.
So I am either beating him here or im in bad shape vs Ax,K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Can I get some feed back on if this is just standard and Its an easy call/push on flop? Or is this a fold preflop? I can't see why I could fold this preflop with position and it only being 3.5xBB raise. Easy to get out of the hand on the flop if I miss vs Overpairs.

-Jluker7
Old 01-25-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: AKo, Late in Tournament, vs TAA, Fold Pre/Push? Is flop call Easy?

i think call is ok bc utg raise is a sign of strength and you prob dont have tremendous fold equity. i think a mix iof calls and reraises is fine here given stack size. some would say you are a little lo and should push. i definily shove flop
Old 01-25-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Re: AKo, Late in Tournament, vs TAA, Fold Pre/Push? Is flop call Easy

If he's as tight as your suggesting than I think a pre-flop call looks pretty good. You probably don't have any folding equity and are behind his range pre-flop.

But I think you can only make this call if he'll make a continuation bet with a middle pair even if an Ace hits the flop. If you can't win any more money if an Ace hits then I'm not even sure if calling pre-flop is correct. It's close because he can certainly have AQ and you'll more than likely stack him. But there's obviously a greater chance that he has KK-TT than AQ. Against a tight aggressive player who doesn't make continuation bets when he's scared of the flop it's tough to make pre-flop calls with AK payoff. You could also make it profitable if you can raise the flop and push him off a middle pair (like JJ on a Q94 flop or something).

I think you're shoving the flop. It's a bit scary with the heart flop but you have to do it. I wouldn't want to give him a free card and let a fourth heart beat me. You might even get AK no heart to fold.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or is this a fold preflop? I can't see why I could fold this preflop with position and it only being 3.5xBB raise. Easy to get out of the hand on the flop if I miss vs Overpairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's NOT a fold pre-flop. It might be a push. I'm not sure if that's correct though - I'd like to hear from others about that. I'd just call though.

Some other information that might help would be number of players left, how many paid and your standing in the pack.

I think I'd shove over his flop bet. If he has AA, then you're [censored]. If he has a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he might not improve. Other than that you're in good shape if he calls.

I couldn't imagine calling and then folding to another heart on the turn and leaving myself short-stacked, unless I was still going to be in good shape (like 5th out of 10 or something) but I still wouldn't want to be in that position, so I'd just get 'em in now.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:27 AM

What does TAA stand for?
Old 01-25-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Re: AKo, Late in Tournament, vs TAA, Fold Pre/Push? Is flop call Easy?

I probably call the flop and plan to push any turn, pretty much regardless of what hits or his action.

Given description of player, it is unlikely he has a flush or a set other than AAA.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does TAA stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]I assume tight aggressive -- aggressive in Poker Tracker.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:57 AM

TAA is general lingo for good tight aggresive players who play correct most of the time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

In the actual hand I pushed in for the rest of my stack. He instantly called with Ax,Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I liked my odds there I knew I was 50+ something to win, then turn was Club, I was happy about 74% there. Then river was heart. I just wanted to be sure that this is a positive play in the future.

Because pushing in there doesn't change his play, he is still calling because we even stacks and hes getting great odds on his Q draw.

I was just wondering if pushing in was just to ride out my odds of having the best hand and hoping he doesnt improve. Seems to be happening alot in MTTs

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. This is surly going to happen again. I am glad that I made the right decision.

Can I get a little more feedback on the AK vs High PPs?

So in general vs a solid TAA, for example.

I have AKo. I raise 3.5-4xBB in MP. A TAA comes over the top with a nice 7-9xBB raise. I put him on High PP. It is correct to fold here because I am OOP. And he wont pay my AK if I hit good. Is this what your saying?

Also does it change if hes BB, and I am LP. Making him OOP. Or is AK still a fold if I presume he has Med-High PP.?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:33 AM

I shove PF you sometimes fold the best hand on the flop to a c-bet and lose value against a lot of hands that give you action when you outflop them.