Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

View Poll Results: stephenh
villager 3 75.00%
wolf 0 0%
seer 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Crazy Phil Laak story with Pics

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe you were talking about lackies or something ...

[/ QUOTE ]

What, are you saying that there's *nobody* working in financial services with a heroin habit?

I think you'll find you're wrong.

See this, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you define heroin habit ? Popping oxys is not anything like mainlining junk. There are very few successful regular-working-hours people in the world who mainline junk on a regular basis. Sure, there are geniuses in music, acting, art, etc. who pull it off. But a job where you have to get up early every morning and perform for long hours consistently over years ? Not a chance.

That's article is full of media hype. 100 hour weeks ? That's very very rare. That's 16 hrs/day M-F, and then 10 hrs each on Sat Sun. Almost no one can sustain that pace for long. I personally only know one person who ever sustained 16 hrs/day for multiple years, now a partner at McKinsey, and those hours were when he was an associate. As soon as he made partner he dropped way way down, 60 hrs/week or less. Plus his 100 hour weeks included a great deal of travel time (although he might have been working).
Old 08-07-2007, 12:33 PM

Can we please stop talking about the pros / cons of class A drugs in the business world and return to the exciting topic of Phil Laak and his amazing Thai nemesis?

I don't understand how people can sit there saying 'I get the feeling this guy is telling the truth' - Nobody can say for certain. Although it is highly likely that it is all complete and total crap.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...100 hour weeks ? That's very very rare. That's 16 hrs/day M-F, and then 10 hrs each on Sat Sun. Almost no one can sustain that pace for long...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of a LOT of submariners who do it routinely for 3-6 months in a row spanning age rages from 18-45. They do it for a lot less pay, a lot less glamour and only the recognition of their peers. They also do it without any drugs (aside from coffe/caffeine).I agree it's rare in the biznezz world but it's not rare/unsustainable in general.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 PM

Negative creep wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
I used to work as a stockbroker, until I lost my Series seven license, which is another story altogether, though it is related to drug use. You may have heard stories about Stockbrokers and cocaine, but for every 2 or 3 cokeheads in a brokerage, there is one scag addict.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=577

Just saying. This sort of anonymous, featured drug experience article on erowid.org is probably about 100x more reliable than the silly conjecture of kids on an internet site that think watching movies makes them streetwise and knowledgeable.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:25 PM

guys this is ridiculous debating how much coke and heroin wall street ballers ingest. Leave them out of the conversation. Now think how many rich white people there are who don't want to go to the hood to score. That's you addressable market. It's a sweet opportunity.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Negative creep wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
I used to work as a stockbroker, until I lost my Series seven license, which is another story altogether, though it is related to drug use. You may have heard stories about Stockbrokers and cocaine, but for every 2 or 3 cokeheads in a brokerage, there is one scag addict.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=577

Just saying. This sort of anonymous, featured drug experience article on erowid.org is probably about 100x more reliable than the silly conjecture of kids on an internet site that think watching movies makes them streetwise and knowledgeable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. When I was hospitalized they had me on IV dilaudid for weeks, hospital heroin. Because I was in so much pain, I wasn't doing the nod as much as a junkie does, but it does do a good job of removing you from reality.

That guy, like most addicts, escalated dosing at a pretty rapid pace, started speedballing, mixing pills, etc., until he was a mess, and so I maintain my conjecture that there are virtually no scag addicts working on The Street -- any that there are will soon lose their jobs.

But getting back to Laak, I don't think he had to be plugged into a retail H distribution network (street or white-collar) to deal in contraband. All he needed was one wholesaler connection to unload the junk as soon as it arrived.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't just walk up to a known drug spot in Harlem or The L.E.S. with a kanpsack full of dope and ask the gun toting Dominican drug dealer if he wants some good dope cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you suppose sells to all those nice middle class white junkies working in the media, on Wall Street, or who gamble for a living? The people who are too scared to take the subway up to Harlem or the Lower East Side?

Yup, that's right. Other nice middle class white kids. Anyone who has had any access to these circles would have no trouble moving that good Thai stuff. And because of the lack of competition in such circles, these people tend to pay premium prices, making it an even more lucrative deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

White middle class kids don't peddle dope. Sure, they sell pills and chronic and blow but dope is not a game that any middle class kid is gonna get involved in. Just like middle class white kids didn't sell crack, it aint their game. White crackheads copped in the ghetto just like their black/hispanic counterparts. It's not something that you just know how to do, you have to be able to cut it and opackage it properly so you don't kill all your clients, prices change on a weekly basis due to supply/demand there are dozens of reasons why it pretty unlikely. And there are not too many white collar dope fiends, being a junkie is a full time job. people don't use heroin recreationally like pot or coke. There are plenty of brokers who like to party, they do alot of blow, eat tons of painkillers, smoke exotic expensive weed but doing dope is no party, its a way of life. Your average Joe would have no idea where to get heroin but probably anyone you know can get weed or blow, think about that. Laak just wouldn't have the connections in that world so it just makes the story less believable.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:46 PM

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/05/0...ile/index.html
Old 08-07-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i know. I just get so frustrated that someone can level these accusations and dodge the important questions. Tom has not directly provided any evidence that he supposedly has. How hard is it to scan the said affidavits and host the images somewhere. Instead what we get is, wed' it's coming, then friday. Speculating is fine, but i WANT evidence not hot air. I think we all deserve that. Have we found out about matching IP's yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy's email and telephone number are on his website. You're more than free to contact him directly (as I did) if you have questions. I don't think he owes an answer to every single person who posts a question here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i think he does. He has put himself out there with outlandish accusations and not produced proof. I will not call him, or email him. HE CHOSE TO POST THIS IN A PUBLIC FORUM. This thread is full of speculation, all i want is the facts and evidence to support his claims so we can all judge both parties FOR OURSELVES. All we seem to be getting is, yeah it's coming, it's coming. You may be happy with that, but i am not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he should answer every question that get's put on here? Yes, it's a public forum, but that doesn't mean he has to, or has the time to, pay attention to everything that is said. Just wait for the information to come and stop being such a meat head.

Breath.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:04 PM

What's your point? He copped dope on Long Island, there are plenty of bad bad "suburban" hoods on L.I., some towns are almost segregated. You may have million dollar homes and then housing projects a mile away. Just because its not the inner city doesn't mean its candy land. And the kids sure didnt sound like recreational users, stone cold junkies....