Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 AM

Default PLO SnG - Check my line please

Here's a hand history from a tourney I just got knocked out of. This is my last hand. My question is this: If you're short stacked with big blinds (compared to your stack) it's correct to push with mediocre holdings, is it not? If you have fold equity and first raise.

Anyway, should I have waited for a better hand or is this standard?

Full Tilt Poker Game #2726599852: $10 + $1 Sit & Go (20786615), Table 1 - 60/120 - Pot Limit Omaha H/L - 3:38:42 ET - 2007/06/21
Seat 1: bdr1213 (3,765)
Seat 3: ninelives (3,731)
Seat 4: beijing6 (3,275)
Seat 6: ClipperJockey (535)
Seat 7: CopperRiverRed (2,194)
ninelives posts the small blind of 60
beijing6 posts the big blind of 120
The button is in seat #1

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ClipperJockey [Jh 9d Th Ks]

ClipperJockey raises to 420
CopperRiverRed calls 420
bdr1213 folds
ninelives raises to 1,800
beijing6 folds
ClipperJockey calls 115, and is all in
CopperRiverRed has 15 seconds left to act
CopperRiverRed calls 1,380

*** FLOP *** [9s 9h 2c]

ninelives bets 1,320
CopperRiverRed calls 394, and is all in
ninelives shows [Ad Ac Qh 2s]
ClipperJockey shows [Jh 9d Th Ks]
CopperRiverRed shows [Td Tc 7d 6c]

Uncalled bet of 926 returned to ninelives

*** TURN *** [9s 9h 2c] [Qc]

*** RIVER *** [9s 9h 2c Qc] [8c]

ninelives shows two pair, Aces and Nines, for high
CopperRiverRed shows a flush, Queen high, for high
CopperRiverRed wins the side pot (3,318) with a flush, Queen high
ClipperJockey shows a straight, Queen high, for high
CopperRiverRed wins the main pot (1,725) with a flush, Queen high
ClipperJockey stands up
No low hand qualified

CopperRiverRed INSTA called my raise. I don't think there was even a half second between my raise and his call. I don't know if he wanted to go to bed or what the deal was. I see him playing quite frequently and this just seemed very out of place.

I'm thinking he's got a hand like A2K3 or something, but, then we get reraised. I know I'm in trouble then because I'm about 80% sure ninelives has AA2x. I have to call my remaining 115 chips. There's obviously no possible way I can fold.

The flop hits and I think I'm golden. It's a rainbow and I've got top set + a 2 that will counterfeit most low hands. I can't help but think this hand would have ended up like this even if all my money wasn't in preflop. It actually took me a second to figure out why my straight lost.

CopperRiverRed called the reraise and then the 394 on the flop. Even though he had no connection to the flop what-so-ever, there was like 5k in there. I guess I can't blame him for making the flop call. I just don't understand why he wouldn't reraise his last 394 preflop when he already stuck in 4/5 of his stack. Like I said, his whole play of this hand was just weird.

I've been losing to bizzaro plays like this on a regular basis since Saturday. ProDonkey said I'm going to start losing on the bubble more than I thought imaginable. Oddly enough he was right. I think he cursed me. Lol. I'm not really going negative though. I just seem to float around the same amount of money so I guess I can't be toooo mad. It's getting a little frustrating playing for hours and coming up even for 4 consecutive days now. Hopefully this will pass soon.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Let me know if you think my preflop play was correct. Thanks guys.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: PLO SnG - Check my line please

I play it the same. I don't think CopperRiverRed's call is bad; TT76ds is pretty decent in all-in pre-flop equity simulations, it just sucks normally because it's too hard to play postflop. Also he has to figure that your pushing range here is very wide. As for him raising to get in his last 394 chips preflop, this only makes sense to me if there are really *no* flops he will fold on. On the flop you got, it makes sense for him to continue - he has an overpair plus a couple backdoors and is getting 12:1 or whatever. But I think he could have found a fold on a flop like JsQsKs and so his play makes sense to me.
I'm surprised you give ninelives such a narrow range here. Is he very tight? If I were in his shoes I would do this with a variety of hands, given that *your* range here should be large and CopperRiverRed's flat call doesn't signal any great strength (after all I might get him to fold).
Old 06-21-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same. I don't think CopperRiverRed's call is bad; TT76ds is pretty decent in all-in pre-flop equity simulations, it just sucks normally because it's too hard to play postflop. Also he has to figure that your pushing range here is very wide. As for him raising to get in his last 394 chips preflop, this only makes sense to me if there are really *no* flops he will fold on. On the flop you got, it makes sense for him to continue - he has an overpair plus a couple backdoors and is getting 12:1 or whatever. But I think he could have found a fold on a flop like JsQsKs and so his play makes sense to me.
I'm surprised you give ninelives such a narrow range here. Is he very tight? If I were in his shoes I would do this with a variety of hands, given that *your* range here should be large and CopperRiverRed's flat call doesn't signal any great strength (after all I might get him to fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

I had been short-stacked for a while and just folding off my chips. This would be the first time I had shown any aggression preflop without a hand that wasn't AA2x or AA3x suited the whole tourney.

Plus being UTG it just surprised me that he called so quickly with a hand like that. He really could not have had any time to analyze the situation. The cards were dealt, I shoved, he called. Personally I don't think I would have even played his hand for a limp with the rest of the table to act after me let alone a raise.

In this particular tourney the only time a lot of chips went in preflop were if somebody had an AA2x or AA3x hand. That's why I was so quick to put ninelives on AA2x. I couldn't see him reraising with out this hand.

Like I said, I hadn't been showing any strength preflop so I thought my original raise really should have given off the impression of strength more than desperation.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:32 AM

Perhaps he was willing to go in with the worst of if knowing that he had a 35% chance (at worst) of knocking out one of the best players at the table. If I had a 35% chance at knocking out the top player at the table, I would definetly consider taking it.

67tt vs A2xx is 51/49
67tt vs AAxx is 62/38
67tt vs AA2x is 64/36.

Ofcourse this simplistic analysis doesn't take into account that there are still players left to act; nonetheless perhaps this is a possiblity you should consider.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:40 AM

Yes, and those percentages don't take into account that his 67tt was double-suited, which should add several percentage points to the overall preflop equity ...
Old 06-24-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, and those percentages don't take into account that his 67tt was double-suited, which should add several percentage points to the overall preflop equity ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I think there's a pretty decent chance the original call was a misclick. Once he made the mistake and was now facing a reraise, steamed and said "F it". On the flop he just gave up and decided to donate the rest of his chips.

That's the only line that seems to make sense to me. It just doesn't seem like a completely thought out hand at all. I think that if anybody had been paying attention they would have easily known ninelives held AA2x or AA3x.

So knowing that you're most likely looking at AA2x or AA3x PLUS another hand that also figures to have your hand beat both ways, if not high alone, just seems like a horrible play to me. Facing more than one opponent increases the possibility that one if not both of your suits are no good as well.

You can make an argument that calling and dumping the hand if you don't hit a flop is what he was trying to do, well, he called, bricked the flop and still got the rest of his chips in anyway.

There's still a lot of people left in this SnG, is this really the hand and the situation you want to commit to? Calling the reraise is most times than not committing tournament suicide, is it not? Even if he were to fold on the flop, he would only have two times around the table with out playing a hand. More times than not, you're not going ot survive with that stack.

If he were to fold to the reraise, he would be in a lot better shape than if he were to call and hope to beat two hands that are most likely beating his hand.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:02 PM

Looking at it some more, it does look like CopperRiverRed should have folded. But it's not that obvious. He has to abandon his equity in the main pot (let's call this 400 chips) if he folds, which means that he has to be worse than a 65/35 dog vs ninelive's range. As it happens, I think ninelives should/would do this reraise with any AALx (and not much else), and so CopperRiverRed is something like a 68/32 dog and should have dumped the hand (FWIW narrowing the range to AAWx doesn't change things much). But as mistakes at the $10 SNG level go, this isn't a very big blunder.