Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Who are your top 10 college football teams -- OFFICIAL early ranki

1. Ohio St. - Explosive and talented offense lead by multi-dimensional quarterback Troy Smith. Ted Ginn Jr. and the speedy Anthony Gonzalez return to form a formidable duo of deepthreat recievers, and the running back stable is also full, with last years starter Antonio Pittman returning and the addition of top recruit Chris Wells. The offensive line should also be very strong, lead by super prospect Alex Boone. Defesively, there are some question marks with the loss of some top players, but the defensive line should be strong, the linebackers will be young but talented - and will be lead by Marcus Freeman, the next great OSU backer- and the secondary will have speed and talent, like always.

2. Florida - Expectatations are huge for FLA. this year, and for good reason. For one, offenses under Urban Meyer explode in there second year at each shool, and there is no reason it should be any different this year. The team returns a wealth of talent on both sides of the ball, including WR Dallas Baker, WR Andre Caldwell, DE Ray McDonald, LB Brandon Siler, and star QB Chris Leak. Also helping the cause will be arguably the best recruiting class in the country, lead by Percy Harvin, Brandon Spikes, and athletes Jarred Fayson and Jamar Hornsby. A question mark that must be answered by opening day is the running game.

3. USC - Even though the Trojans lost several All-Americans, including QB Matt Leinart and Heisman Winner Reggie Bush, they still have possibly the most explosive wealth of talent in the country. After three straight top recruiting classes, there are plenty of players who can step in and pick up the slack. Whoever wins the QB job - either John David Booty or Mark Sanchez - will have plenty of targets to throw to. All-American candidates Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarrett return, as does the next great USC big reciever- the 6 5" Patrick Turner. The running game is more of a question mark, with projected starter Herschel Dennis getting knocked out for the year, but Chauncey Washington and prize recruit Stafon Johnson should be good enough to carry the load. Defensively, USC is deeper at linebacker than anyone in the country. Brian Cushing, Dallas Sartz, and Oscar Lua return, with the huge Rey Maualuga ready for a breakout season. Several playmakers dot the defensive line, while the secondary needs to be reshored a bit.

4. Oklahoma - The Big 12 will come down to the battle between bitter rivals Oklahoma and Texas. Oklahoma returns top running back Adrian Peterson, along with Soph. QB Rhett Bomar. The WR core is strong, with 6 4" sophmore Malcom Kelly ready for a big year. The offensive line, however, is a big question mark. Defensively, everything starts with stud LB Rufus Alexander. The defensive line should be very strong, while Coach Bob Stoops feels that the secondary, and the defense as a whole, will be the best he's had in years.

5. Texas - Even though the loss of Vince Young hurts, this team is still totall loaded. From RB Jamaal Charles and WR Limas Sweed, to DE Tim Crowder and FS Michael Griffen, few teams can match up with Texas. The big question is if QB's Colt McCoy or Jevean Snead can do a decent job of replacing Young. If they can, another National Title may be on the horizon.

And the rest of my top 10, in no real order:

6. Auburn
7. West Virginia
8. LSU
9. Florida St.
10. Louisville
Old 07-31-2006, 06:29 PM

My main concern on the oline is the LT position, where Patrick is undersized and out of position. If Murtha finally plays up to his talent level, he would be a tremendous boost to the line.

Remember G Andy Christiansen was considered their best olinemen, and he’s back from injury after missing the entire season. Mann played every snap at center last year with a torn shoulder ligament in the Wake Forest game and now he’s healthy. All reports are that Slauson has been an absolute beast at RT this offseason.

From what I’ve heard the coaches say, most of the sacks NU gave up last year were do to communication issues, and that appears to have been resolved this offseason.

The Huskers’ running game is a concern, but the #1 priority in spring practice was to improve the running game, and things will be improved. NU has 4 stud rb’s to go along with the best wr core in the program’s history at the skill positions. In the worse case scenario, I expect NU will pass to set up the run.

Other than LT, imo the biggest question on offense is the health of TE Matt Herian. If he returns to form, this offense could be down right scary.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My main concern on the oline is the LT position, where Patrick is undersized and out of position. If Murtha finally plays up to his talent level, he would be a tremendous boost to the line.

Remember G Andy Christiansen was considered their best olinemen, and he’s back from injury after missing the entire season. Mann played every snap at center last year with a torn shoulder ligament in the Wake Forest game and now he’s healthy. All reports are that Slauson has been an absolute beast at RT this offseason.

From what I’ve heard the coaches say, most of the sacks NU gave up last year were do to communication issues, and that appears to have been resolved this offseason.

The Huskers’ running game is a concern, but the #1 priority in spring practice was to improve the running game, and things will be improved. NU has 4 stud rb’s to go along with the best wr core in the program’s history at the skill positions. In the worse case scenario, I expect NU will pass to set up the run.

Other than LT, imo the biggest question on offense is the health of TE Matt Herian. If he returns to form, this offense could be down right scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you expect from Marlon Lucky this year?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:48 PM

I think Glenn is ahead of Lucky but not positive. I think both should do well and have a few snaps this year, with the absence of Ross.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:50 PM

1. Ohio State
2. Notre Dame
3. Florida
4. USC
5. Oklahoma
6. LSU
7. Texas
8. Auburn
9. West Virginia
10. Iowa
Old 07-31-2006, 07:06 PM

I also don't know how you can say the offense will be fully loaded. Last year, the Huskers averaged something like 95 yards/game. Looking at some stats right now, the Huskers were 96th ranked in total offense (for 320 yards/game).
Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 PM

This is not based on talent alone, and this is what I fully expect the pre-bowl games rankings to look like:

1. Oklahoma
2. Auburn
3. USC
4. Notre Dame
5. Miami
6. Ohio State
7. Texas
8. California
9. Louisville
10. LSU
11. Iowa
12. Tennessee

Florida has top 5 talent, but a craaaaapppy schedule and a very very bad OL.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:49 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if ND lost 3 games this season BEFORE the bowl game. But for ND, 3 losses might be enough to put them in the National Championship.

Big deal being favored in every game. ND won't be favored by much in some. Any one of the first four teams could beat ND on a good day, as well as USC at the end of the season.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:25 PM

Nice post Sharktank. Good thoughts.

EDIT: I think you overrate Florida a bit though. They certianly could be #2 talent-wise, but I am not sure they can put it together. I am usually not critical of coaches, but I'm really not crazy about Urban Meyer or instituting "systems" supposedly that are "perfect" regardless of the players. I mean, you remember the run-and-shoot offense?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:57 PM

I agree on the overrating of UF. They are far and away my favorite team, but sadly enough I do not think they are national championship contenders this year. Even with a super biased opinion, I don't have UF in the top 5 (even though I did for mine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Leak is best suited for a West Coast offense IMO. He's such a pansy when it comes to running/option, an element that makes the spread so effective (ie. vince young/texas ish). His Sophmore year was insane (3200 yards, 30 TDs). We'll see if Urban can modify the offense to fit Leak.