Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

[ QUOTE ]
It's worth noting that this girl's parents are partly at fault for letting her get so fat. Bad parenting led to a very unhappy child.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the parents fault shes fat, its corporations like McDonalds who are to blame for that. <font color="white">im kidding </font>
Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 PM

Here's something else that I'm wondering about:

So a lot of people in this thread have suggested they'd [censored] with the guilty parents after all of this, punishing them in some informal way for their actions. Fair enough. Reading the article, it seems like the guilty ones said that they got into doing this because they thought the dead girl was [censored] with their daughter. Obviously this was an inappropriate response, and I don't condone it. But I am curious to think about it and try to see where they are coming from.

Suppose you're those parents, and you hear from your kid that somebody has been bullying her and making her miserable. How do you respond? It seems to me like the same inclinations that lead to a desire for revenge/vigilante justice here are also the same ones that pushed the guilty parents down the road to their terrible action.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is anybody ever responsible for the actions of someone else (not speaking legally)? If you make fun of a poor person and call them dirty and make fun of their raggedy clothes, are you responsible for them consquently robbing a dept store? Or if you make fun of a depressed person and call them worthless and make fun of their boring life, are you responsible for them consequently ending their own life?

People's actions are their own. Being cruel to someone is a mean thing to do. Taking someone's life is a mean thing to do. Those are all things you choose to do yourself. But you can't be held morally responsible for the actions of others, which are completely out of your control. That the girl happened to kill herself immediately afterward is not their responsibility - it's her own and nobody else's.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you compare off-handed trolling of a bum to premeditated harassment of a child?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's worth noting that this girl's parents are partly at fault for letting her get so fat. Bad parenting led to a very unhappy child.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the parents fault shes fat, its corporations like McDonalds who are to blame for that. <font color="white">im kidding </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

BS. Her parents have complete control over her diet. Don't try to absolve them of doing a good job of raising their child. Plenty of parents do it just fine. I know if I ever have children they won't be getting fat and "corporations" aren't going to somehow make it happen behind my back.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's something else that I'm wondering about:

So a lot of people in this thread have suggested they'd [censored] with the guilty parents after all of this, punishing them in some informal way for their actions. Fair enough. Reading the article, it seems like the guilty ones said that they got into doing this because they thought the dead girl was [censored] with their daughter. Obviously this was an inappropriate response, and I don't condone it. But I am curious to think about it and try to see where they are coming from.

Suppose you're those parents, and you hear from your kid that somebody has been bullying her and making her miserable. How do you respond? It seems to me like the same inclinations that lead to a desire for revenge/vigilante justice here are also the same ones that pushed the guilty parents down the road to their terrible action.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow I agree with you 100% here... the instinct to punish/judge/get revenge is involved in so many things like this...
Old 11-14-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BS. Her parents have complete control over her diet. Don't try to absolve them of doing a good job of raising their child. Plenty of parents do it just fine. I know if I ever have children they won't be getting fat and "corporations" aren't going to somehow make it happen behind my back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic fwiw
Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How is anybody ever responsible for the actions of someone else (not speaking legally)? If you make fun of a poor person and call them dirty and make fun of their raggedy clothes, are you responsible for them consquently robbing a dept store?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Or if you make fun of a depressed person and call them worthless and make fun of their boring life, are you responsible for them consequently ending their own life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
But you can't be held morally responsible for the actions of others, which are completely out of your control.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they're not, as you already pointed out. Not making fun of depressed people is entirely in your control.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic fwiw

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I spend too much time in Politics where such things are said seriously all too often.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:41 PM

I can't help you too much on this one. While I might have some slight urge to burn their house down or something, in reality I would just cry about my loss. I am a passive person by nature and I'm pretty sure the last time I got seriously mad or angry was like 4 years ago (possible exemption being once with my ex-gf).

I don't see how actual vengeance is the answer (for me) but I totally could see myself wishing harm on them in the heat of the moment.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How is anybody ever responsible for the actions of someone else (not speaking legally)? If you make fun of a poor person and call them dirty and make fun of their raggedy clothes, are you responsible for them consquently robbing a dept store? Or if you make fun of a depressed person and call them worthless and make fun of their boring life, are you responsible for them consequently ending their own life?

People's actions are their own. Being cruel to someone is a mean thing to do. Taking someone's life is a mean thing to do. Those are all things you choose to do yourself. But you can't be held morally responsible for the actions of others, which are completely out of your control. That the girl happened to kill herself immediately afterward is not their responsibility - it's her own and nobody else's.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you compare off-handed trolling of a bum to premeditated harassment of a child?

[/ QUOTE ]
The offense may be more despicable, but imo fundamentally nobody is ever responsible for the actions of another. You can't control what other people do, just like nobody can control what you do. Your actions are your own. It's pretty easy to shirk off that responsibility by blaming circumstance or environment or outside forces, but everybody's actions are still their own responsibility and nobody else's.