Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: It\'s Been A Whlie : 98s in CO

Three-betting here is one of those things that I never think to do as the hand is happening, but seem very attractive later on. Not only does it possibly buy us a free card, but if we get HU with UTG, there's a chance our 9s and 8s are outs, no?

-McGee
Old 10-25-2007, 03:17 PM

I think the raise preflop is pretty bad.
You want to see flops as cheap as possible.
Also, you want to keep that loose sb in, so just limp.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for me, this is influenced by more than just the free card possibility. since this is a nice sized pot and with a draw to the nuts/poss. flush it's in our best interest to continue if we don't hit/pickup more of a draw on the turn.

this becomes more difficult to do if our opponents start to get aggressive on fourth street(it also hurts implied odds). if they're putting in action on this board, they have made hands. a majority of those made hands are one pair type hands(of course the less mathematically likely sets/two pair combos must be accounted for as well).

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you're saying that, you put in an extra bet as a 10:1 underdog on the flop, end up making a marginal call on the turn anyway and you think this is profitable for you?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 PM

Forgot about this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold Preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]No. 45s sure

[/ QUOTE ]
I call with 54s here PF without thinking too much about it. A wise man once said regarding 75s in this same spot, "If you aren't going to play that hand in that spot, why are you even at a poker table?"
Old 10-25-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the raise preflop is pretty bad.
You want to see flops as cheap as possible.
Also, you want to keep that loose sb in, so just limp.

[/ QUOTE ]
I raise T9s here routinely. Virtually 100% of the time. I even raise it one position earlier in a lot of cases (maybe ~30%), and this would have been one of them. 98s here is kinda close, but with a TAG button I think it's pretty easy. If it helps to see how easy, if someone were to limp PF and show me this hand, the first thing I'd probably say is "I raise PF."
Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I am willing to pay two small bets for one card, I should be more than happy to pay three small bets for two cards. Combined with my preflop raise, I think that my chance of getting a freecard here, is probably pretty big if I make the threebet.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a bit more to it than that. I haven't done a shred of math on this hand yet and honestly don't have much of a clue what the right play is. If I had to guess I'd go with calling, but it seems like every time I try going over this hand in my head I'm still going back and forth.

The biggest problem I see with 3betting here is how it kills my effective odds for seeing the turn and wondering if the better effective for seeing the river make up for it. It doesn't seem like they would, but again I haven't done any real math. And to a lesser extent, it also kills my implied odds on the turn, not just because less bets will go in when I hit, but because my unit is now 1.5 BB instead of 1.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, you're saying that, you put in an extra bet as a 10:1 underdog on the flop, end up making a marginal call on the turn anyway and you think this is profitable for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

To all:

Estimate hero's outs on the flop. Don't do math, just make up a number on the spot.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:17 AM

Old 10-26-2007, 04:22 AM

Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't going to play that hand in that spot, why are you even at a poker table?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I remember Clarkmeister saying that in a thread, is the the wise man you are referring too?