Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Your favorite things to do or places to go: San Francisco Bay Are

[ QUOTE ]
Evan,

My favorite burrito place in SF is La Taqueria on Mission near 25th. El Farolito is my second favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

COME ON EL D!!! How on EARTH are you going to mention La Taqueria in the same breath as El Farolito!!!!! BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

La Taq is HANDS DOWN THE BEST BURRITO PLACE ON EARTH (unless you are one of those people who really loves rice - this place has none). El Farolito is nowhere near the same quality IMO.

If you want solid burrito alternatives, you don't have to go far -

La Coroneta <sp> on 23rd and Mission is fantastic (get the super steak and prawn quesodilla <sp> - incredible).

For nightlife, I suggest the following:

Brunos - a very classy location with a very night dependent crowd - from collegy to investment bankery - really runs the gamut - $5 dollar cover is PERFECT to keep the rif raf out and not bother you much.

Medjool - the roofdeck is sweet on a nice night - hectic to get a drink, but between the 3 floors, you should be able to find a spot. Very close to Brunos.

Zeitgeist - best bloody marys in the city, and about as Mission alt hipster. Tons of picknic tables out back to enjoy the sun with a beer or bloody. BBQ ain't too shabby either (particularly after a few of the afformentioned beverages).

Ruby Skye - you really have to be feeling the 'big euro club' urge to go here, but if you are, it's the best choice in the city. Always hot girls and you can escape upstairs if you need a beak from the electronica.

Just a few additions off the top.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ruby Skye

[/ QUOTE ]

You are one skeevy chode.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tommy's Joynt. This place makes great corned beef, pastrami, brisket, and tons of other stuff. They'll make that up on a platter for you with a couple of sides for about $8 or make a big sandwich for you for $5. I recommend the brisket sandwich w/ BBQ sauce or the corned beef and cabbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

On Saturdays their special is BBQ ribs.. very tender and delicious.

They have great sides, too. I usually opt for a side of brussel sprouts.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:28 PM

If it's the beach in the pic, it's Baker Beach. not really a swimming beach, as the water's cold, the currents can be ripping and it's a popular fishing beach for striped bass, halibut and perch. the eastern end (towards the ggb) is affectionately known as man-fort beach by the local fishermen. basically, it's a nude beach that's frequented mostly by older men.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's the beach in the pic, it's Baker Beach. not really a swimming beach, as the water's cold, the currents can be ripping and it's a popular fishing beach for striped bass, halibut and perch. the eastern end (towards the ggb) is affectionately known as man-fort beach by the local fishermen. basically, it's a nude beach that's frequented mostly by older men.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, that must be it, there was a naked guy that seemed to be doing laps around the beach or something. We didn't go in the water so I'll trust you about it being cold. It was in May so the weather hadn't totally warmed up yet, although it was pretty hot that day.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, that must be it, there was a naked guy that seemed to be doing laps around the beach or something. We didn't go in the water so I'll trust you about it being cold. It was in May so the weather hadn't totally warmed up yet, although it was pretty hot that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's bakers beach...I have a painting of it at my house. It's always effing freezing there no matter what.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best bread I've had in the US is at Acme which started in Berkeley but is also in the Ferry Building market.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And second Daver's comment about Acme Bread - best I've ever had in US, Bay Area is lucky to have it there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daver and Aloysius,

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought a huge loaf yesterday to bring back to NY for my mom and she absolutely loved it. She's a hardcore bread-lover. I had a slice as well and it was indeed delicious.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 PM

Tik,

Great Danko review. It really is a great restaurant. Glad you got to sample the cheese plate, that's a must there! That review sounded so good, I think I'll go there for my birthday next month!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tik,

Great Danko review. It really is a great restaurant. Glad you got to sample the cheese plate, that's a must there! That review sounded so good, I think I'll go there for my birthday next month!

[/ QUOTE ]

El Diablo,

I definitely thought of your suggestion in this thread when the cheese course came around. Thanks for a great recommendation!

-Tik
Old 08-13-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best bread I've had in the US is at Acme which started in Berkeley but is also in the Ferry Building market.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And second Daver's comment about Acme Bread - best I've ever had in US, Bay Area is lucky to have it there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daver and Aloysius,

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought a huge loaf yesterday to bring back to NY for my mom and she absolutely loved it. She's a hardcore bread-lover. I had a slice as well and it was indeed delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Missed this the first time around. Sweet. Sounds like a great trip.