Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: post here when announcers (or the media) say or do something stupi

[ QUOTE ]
During the Mizzou/OU game after a play in which Mizzou used 2 TEs. "Let's go down to XXXX (some women on FSNs payroll) on the sidelines"

XXXX: "Yes, The Tigers 2 TE's that were used that play combine to 13 ft and 500 lbs, back to you in the booth."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is Emily Jones and she has a great ass. As a reporter, not so good.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
During the Mizzou/OU game after a play in which Mizzou used 2 TEs. "Let's go down to XXXX (some women on FSNs payroll) on the sidelines"

XXXX: "Yes, The Tigers 2 TE's that were used that play combine to 13 ft and 500 lbs, back to you in the booth."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is Emily Jones and she has a great ass. As a reporter, not so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had the game on and was trying to take a nap, so it seems I missed the best part of going to her. Maybe next time. Thanks Drew.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:02 PM

Twice during this postseason, I've heard an announcer describe the frenzied crowd at a baseball game as "up for grabs." Uhhh, have we collectively forgotten what this phrase actually means? I do not think that means what you think it means.

First it was Chip Caray and tonight it was Tom Hamilton, who does radio for the Indians. Guys, the crowd is not up for grabs. Up for grabs means it could go either way. I highly doubt the jam-packed Jacobs Field could go either way when they are screaming their lungs out with two outs in the ninth as the Indians try to finish off the Red Sox.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 PM

Yesterday Cris Collinsworth said he thought the Patriots were the best team he's ever seen. They've only played six games so far. Six. Yes they are a very impressive team, probably the best in the NFL. But can we please wait just a little longer before we call them the best team EVER? Three of the teams they have beat so far have only a single win. People saying they are the best team ever, and saying they are going to go undefeated are putting me on crazy King Kong tilt. If they beat Washington next week, and they go to Indianapolis and beat Manning and the Colts in the RCA dome the following week, then we can start talking.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: post here when announcers (or the media) say or do something stupid

When talking about the Falcons' QB troubles, and whether or not they should go after a FA at the end of the year or draft a QB Jaws bluts out "I believe the quickest way to get your franchise winning is to get a QB that can be your QB for 10 to 12 years."

R.E.A.L.L.Y. I thought it stood to reason that if you start a QB for 10 to 12 effing years that he must be a damn awesome QB. Color me surprised.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 PM

Uh, seems like he's advocating drafting a QB. So... what's wrong?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday Cris Collinsworth said he thought the Patriots were the best team he's ever seen. They've only played six games so far. Six. Yes they are a very impressive team, probably the best in the NFL. But can we please wait just a little longer before we call them the best team EVER? Three of the teams they have beat so far have only a single win. People saying they are the best team ever, and saying they are going to go undefeated are putting me on crazy King Kong tilt. If they beat Washington next week, and they go to Indianapolis and beat Manning and the Colts in the RCA dome the following week, then we can start talking.

[/ QUOTE ]

that whole show was insufferable. costas and olbermann combined make me want to kill myself.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday Cris Collinsworth said he thought the Patriots were the best team he's ever seen. They've only played six games so far. Six.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure a lot of that evaluation is based on the Patriot teams of the past few years. Many of the core guys have been with the team for awhile, and this year they've added some key elements that were lacking. Of course, they've probably outperformed their "true" level so far, but it's hardly like this team just started playing together.

[ QUOTE ]
If they beat Washington next week, and they go to Indianapolis and beat Manning and the Colts in the RCA dome the following week, then we can start talking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I was wondering when we could start talking.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, seems like he's advocating drafting a QB. So... what's wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many QB's, as compared to those go are draft-quality, start for 10-12 years on a given team? His point makes sense, it just doesn't hold any water.

It's like if a baseball team has had sh*tty thirdbasemen for 15 years (say the Cubs pre-Ramirez) and someone points out taht the best way to "fix" the problem is to get a guy who can hit you 400-500 homers over the next 15 seasons and win 2 or 3 gold gloves.

I mean, yeah it's true, and utterly obvious, but it isn't likely, and it sure as hell ain't easy to just "get" (draft) a dude like that.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: post here when announcers (or the media) say or do something stupid

Inga Hammond. The Golf Channel. Phil's Top 10 Memorable Moments.

*Note: she was reading from a script and probably didn't write this herself*

She's trying to make the "bug and windshield" analogy. You know? "Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield."

This may not be word-for-word, but you get the idea:

"Sometimes you're the bug, like when he won the AT&T by 13 shots. Sometimes you're the windshield, like when he blew the 2006 U.S. Open on the final hole."

Ummm, maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole bug/windshield dynamic.