Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 12:18 AM

Default 3/6 reraise with 7s 4s

my friend and I are at an impass over the following hand. in a loose 3 6 game 2 players limped and a third raised [ I folded Kc 10h ] my friend seated on my left reraised, 4 players called and the 2 limpers called. the initial raiser reraised and my friend again raised, capping the action. everyone called.
the flop came 7c 5s 7h.
there was plenty of action all the way to the river and no one folded.
my friend took down the enormous pot showing down 7s 4s.
he has been defending his play, which i do not fault after his initial reraise. he can't fold.
the play i cannot defend is his reraise. my position is that cold calling the initial raise is incorrect, i do not understand how reraising can be correct [which my friend claims]
of course he was the hero in this story having won the pot, but i argue that he should not have been in the hand.
any thoughts?

pipedown3
Old 08-29-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: 3/6 reraise with 7s 4s

well obviously i'm not sure why he's 3betting with a bad hand like that, or why he decided to 5bet cap it either. that's a bad play but i'm sure you both already know that.

obviously once he flopped trips he can go to town.

the easily correct play pre-flop is to fold.

preflop after he 3bets and it gets 4bet, there's no real value in 5bet capping it so i would just call the 4bet.

i suspect this is a case of being results-oriented because he flopped trips and won a big hand.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:56 AM

Your friend is a common type; the type who thinks that just because he plays decently postflop he can play whatever hands he wants. His pf play is terrible and he probably knows it but folding is boring. Don't emulate him.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 AM

what are the positions and stack sizes pre?
Sometimes with a lot of callers i will do this on the button or late pos in order to get more money in the pot and get better equity for draws/flopped big hands. I really dont feel that its "right" or "wrong," he's just mixing up his play which i like.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes with a lot of callers i will do this on the button or late pos in order to get more money in the pot and get better equity for draws/flopped big hands. I really dont feel that its "right" or "wrong," he's just mixing up his play which i like.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't NL.

OP: in limit hold em this is a long term losing play. no question about it. no read can change that. 7 high multiway sucks. putting in a 3bet/5bet with 74s multiway sucks.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 AM

hes the reason helmuth eats porterhouses
Old 08-29-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sit to the left of your friend.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 PM

His preflop play is completely donkish. Horrible in fact. He probably thinks he's being cool and gaining some sort of mysterious long term equity by "mixing it up" or having a "deceptive hand", and creating "image". Laughable. Please tell me he was wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap while doing this, and said "ship it" at showdown - that would really complete this pretty picture for me.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM

You see LLHE players do this live at times when they get on a rush and start winning every hand with ATCs. They will 3 ball, cap etc with anything cause they are winning with anything. Hopefully they will sick around a long time for you to take adv. of their schyeety play. Some will do this and do a hit and run thing and walk with several racks.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't NL.

OP: in limit hold em this is a long term losing play. no question about it. no read can change that. 7 high multiway sucks. putting in a 3bet/5bet with 74s multiway sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you honestly think position in a limit game doesn't matter than you should play backgammon or something instead of poker. WTF are you serious?