Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM

Default My bankroll managment connundrum

I made a post about this earlier when I was considering taking a shot at 10/20... Ultimatly the post led me to take a shot at 10/20. This was the best decision I had made in a long time, cause ive been crushing the game for over 70k hands and my $/hr has almost doubled.
Right now im in a similar connundrum.

I have two contradictory goals:

1) Build a roll so I can move up
2) Pay off my student debt and save a bit to live in LA ASAP

My question to the 2+2 community is how aggressivly should I be withdrawing funds given my current situation:

1) My student debt is at 9k$ and I pay a high % on it (works out to about 200$ a month)

2) The @#&%*%# canadian dollar is shooting through the roof with no signs of slowing down, so the value of my roll is decreasing as each day passes. (my roll is in american, but I live in canada)

3) I currently have 26k$ on pokerstars 5k$ On Ongame, 3k$ on tilt/party

4) Im still mentally traumatized from the terrible tilt fest that was mid august to early october.. Because of this I dont think I want to frequent tougher games in 15/30 (and eventually 30/60) until january or so.. however, my winrate and roll is basically screaming at me to move up.

So basically im overrolled for the games im playing in and I need money..

However, I feel guilty withdrawing a huge chunk (like 9k$) because it kind of pisses on any solid bankroll management strategy...

Id be curious to hear what people like chezlaw and other long term midstakes grinders do as a withdrawl strategy.. Basically someone who must be overolled for their limit, bceause they stay down in those stakes and do it for a living.

Also, any inisght into my connundrum is apreciated...

Given the canadian dollar and my debt, Im strongly considering taking a huge chunk out of my roll right now.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: My bankroll managment connundrum

Sounds to me like the clear choice is to pay of the 9k and stay at 10/20 a little longer.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:15 PM

I bet if you cash out and pay all this crap off you'll tilt less.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 PM

IMO you should always pay off debts while you can...you never know when you might need to take more credit out.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM

yep, combined with the interest you are paying + the declining value of your online roll, you should want to pay that [censored] off now

however, it seems to me like you should also be willing to take a short shot at the bigger games. I had about 25k in my account when I started playing the 15 and 30 games. My skills are admittedly poorer than yours (and my winrate), but I feel that I can definitely beat those games when they're good.

If u run well, you'll never go back cuz you can definitely survive long-term up there. Take this with a grain of salt tho, cuz I am somewhat reckless with my br management because I dont use it for any living expenses and I've only withdrawn about ~5k this entire year.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like the clear choice is to pay of the 9k and stay at 10/20 a little longer.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed, I don't see any other option as being better, especially if you have a big enough edge that it won't take too long to make that 9k back in the consider moving up again.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking this too.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 PM

I would withdraw 10k and keep playing with rest holding 1000BB for br management
Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would withdraw 10k and keep playing with rest holding 1000BB for br management

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, pay that loan off. it will be such a relief when you do.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I feel guilty withdrawing a huge chunk (like 9k$) because it kind of pisses on any solid bankroll management strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand not paying of your debt when having the money for it is IMO poor risk management strategy.I really think you should pay your debt instead.