Default Homegame mistake

$1-$2 homegame: loose game amongst a diviersified field, 6-handed:

UTG ~$110
MP ~$160
CO ~$100
BTN ~$80
SB ~$80
BB(hero) ~$160

5 callers around to me in the BB. I hold 9d9s. Raise an additional $5. 5 callers. Pot = $42

Flop: 4c 6s 9h
SB checks
BB(hero) bets $10
Everyone folds to BB(hero).

I think this bet on the flop was a big mistake. I should have realized that showing strength on such a weak board, especially after a preflop raise, was going to chase out any action. Checking with the intention of c/r or c/c would have been best to continue building the pot when I have flopped top set on such an otherwise innocuous board. Or giving a free card and allowing someone to make an overpair would have worked nicely. My biggest regret of the night. Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Homegame mistake

[ QUOTE ]

I think this bet on the flop was a big mistake. I should have realized that showing strength on such a weak board, especially after a preflop raise, was going to chase out any action. Checking with the intention of c/r or c/c would have been best to continue building the pot when I have flopped top set on such an otherwise innocuous board. Or giving a free card and allowing someone to make an overpair would have worked nicely. My biggest regret of the night. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you play higher, your reasoning is flawless.

$23.333
Old 09-28-2007, 11:40 AM

Raise more preflop with 99 in BB. You don't want 5 callers here b/c it's likely an overcard will show up on the flop, and you're OOP.

Flop play is read-dependent and image-dependent, I think -- checking is fine if you want to rep AK/AQ and think someone at the table will pick up on that & bluff/semibluff accordingly. Or if you've been bluffing a lot and/or getting called down light, bet/3bet is fine too. But if you're going to bet the flop, bet more than 1/4 pot -- your bet screamed "call me, please, I have you crushed". Bet $35 next time...you could have AA/a set, or you could be trying to buy the pot.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:45 PM

I think the mistake here is...
[x]Playing in homegame
Old 09-28-2007, 12:56 PM

I think it is funny that with 5 callers nobody hand anything to even take the 5:1 odds or test the weak bet. Sounds pretty loose passive...can I come??
Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 PM

bet $35 on the flop, so they don't know you have a set
Old 09-28-2007, 01:52 PM

I think any bet on the flop induces folds all around in this situation. If I had middle set things might be different, someone might hold 9-x to call. Players here routinely call down light, middle pair or worse. But 5:1 odds, I would have thought someone would have called too.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think any bet on the flop induces folds all around in this situation. If I had middle set things might be different, someone might hold 9-x to call. Players here routinely call down light, middle pair or worse. But 5:1 odds, I would have thought someone would have called too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel that the approach of trying to stack 2nd-best hands and draws (i.e. betting the flop) will pay you off better than trying to win bluffs from nothing hands (i.e. checkraising the flop) given the large number of opponents.

In summary, I bet more on the flop, and if I was going to raise preflop, I would have made it more like 15.